Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My dog has gotten into a "Coleman Chillers" Ice pack-- says

My dog has gotten into a "Coleman Chillers" Ice pack-- says non-toxic, but does not list any ingredients on the back. He's 85 lbs, the bag is maybe the size of a small sandwich bag, and didn't get any more than 1/4th of that (not even that much... it was all over the floor). How concerned do I need to be?

He seems to have an iron stomach with many things, but we have had a toxicity scare once with a bag of grapes. He seems fine right now, but I'm feeling paranoid because of the grapes incident.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

I did a little research and found that Coleman Chillers (also called Coleman Ice Brite) as basically just gel coolers.The good news is that these kinds of coolers are made of mostly inert/non-toxic items. They contain mainly cellulose, urea and propylene glycol. Unlike it's toxic cousin ethylene glycol, Propylene glycol is not toxic. Generally we see some digestive upset like vomiting or diarrhea. We don't worry unless we see signs of being uncoordinated or acting drunk.

I'd just keep an eye on him for tonight. Do not give him anything else by mouth tonight (no water or treats or food), and monitor him for the vomiting or diarrhea. If he becomes ill, you may want to have him seen at a local emergency clinic, just to be on the safe side, but I don't expect to see any signs at all.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your help!

You're very, very welcome!!
Hi Hayley,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Rambo. How is everything going?

CVT_in_MN
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He seems to be doing fine! (Lazy as usual-- but nothing abnormal)

I'm happy to hear that!!