ERAnimalNurse, Emergency Critical Care Nurse
Experience:  16+ years of veterinary experience

My Chihuahua acts like she is in pain when I scratch the middle

My Chihuahua acts like she is in pain when I scratch the middle of her back, when I put pressure on in the vertebrae in a certain area she always sits down. Can you tell me whats going on, She is only 1o months old.

I am sorry your dog is having trouble.

Does she cry out or turn her head to look at her back when you press on it?

Is the same spot affected each time?

Does she have trouble with her normal activities (reluctance to jump, run or play)?

Any changes in appetite?

Difficulty posturing to urinate or defecate?

Is she spayed?

How long has this been going on?

Standing by to help......

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She is spayed, she does look back at her back when I scratch her, it's always in the same place. She has no problem with normal activities. When I first got her when she was 9 weeks old, I did notice that her back was kind of hunched. I hope this helps.

Thank you for the additional information. While it's good that there does not appear to be any limitations to her activity level and movement, the fact that she looks back when you touch the area can indicate a problem.

10 months old is really young to have back problems, but it is possible for there to be some congenital deformities that can cause discomfort. If there is a problem with spinal conformation or even with one of the disks themselves, the condition can worsen over time and cause pain, limited mobility and weakness.

Intervertebral disk disease (IVDD) can be common in Chihuahuas, but again, it is not typically seen at such a young age. The following website will give you some more information on IVDD.

It may be that your dog is sensitive in this particular spot for any number of reasons, which may not have anything to do with disks or spine. There could be soft tissue injury, but typically there is accompanying muscle twitching and hesitation in movements. Every dog is different so an exam by your vet is going to be the best way to go. Very few things replace a physical exam in terms of offering up a potential diagnosis. It is best to have it checked out now, while it is mildly affecting her, rather than wait to see if it gets worse. Please consider having her seen sometime soon, and let me know if you have any questions. I hope nothing too serious is g going on. Good luck with your little one.