Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

Hi: This is a first for me. I have a male yorkie which is

Hi:
This is a first for me. I have a male yorkie which is a year and 2 mo. old. My female is in heat and the male is all over her but I don't see his penis at all. I try to help him but he just looks at me. Do you think he is just too young or something else is going on.

Hi Marie,

.

My name isXXXXX've professionally worked with animals for over 16 years dealing with both health and behavioral issues. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

.

I don't know how experienced you are, so I'm going to go over the breeding process. A few key things to remember when attempting to mate two dogs is that the female needs to be in the right stage of heat and also needs to be brought into the males territory for mating and not the other way around. Male dogs become sexually mature around 6-7 months of age so he is old enough.

.

To breed successfully you need to understand the heat cycle. I have explained it below and included a site that has a pictorial guide so there is no mistake what stage of heat your girl is in.

.

Female Dogs go into heat at any time between 6-12 months usually. The average heat cycle for a dog is approximately 3 weeks but for some dogs it is longer and for others it is shorter. Some as short as 10 days and some as long as 4 weeks or more. Usually your dog will go into heat every 6-7 months though again each dog is different and can go back into heat as early as 4 months or not for 12 months. Most however are average.

.

During the first part of a dogs heat period you will notice swelling of the vulva, possibly an increase in urination and bleeding. If there are male dogs around you will notice them hanging around her. This stage generally last about 7 days and she will not allow males to mate with her during this period The second part of the heat cycle is when she will accept a male and breed. Usually a female will lift her tail out of the way. Usually bleeding has stopped or become straw colored at this point. This can last from 4 to 21 days though the average is 7 days. Many expert say the 9-10th day of heat is the optimum day for breeding. It is during this period of time that you will want to allow mating. Most breeders allow the dogs to mate every other day during this period.

.

Then during the last stage of heat she will be less willing to breed as she is going out of heat. This stage can again last from 4 to 21 days as well but averages 7 days.

.

Each dog is different so some evaluation by the owner is necessary. The whole heat period should be approximately 21 days but as stated can be longer or shorter depending on the dog.

.

Here is an excellent website with pictures to illustrate a female in different stages of heat.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/breedingheat.htm

.

If she is in the right stage of heat, then it might be that the female is moving her hindquarters at a crucial moment or walking forward while the male is mounted. You can try leashing your female so she doesn't do this. I have done this with first time mating females with good success.

If you still don't get a "tie", then you might need to enlist another person to help. One to hold the females leash and a second to help guide the male's organ to the opening. Generally, it will appear the male is making a half-hearted attempt until his organ hits the vulva. Usually when that occurs, you will notice an almost frantic pumping and this usually signals that the mating will be successful and a tie will occur. That is usually when the penis will be visible. If he doesn't succeed, then the penis retracts pretty quickly.

.

Left to their own, it is not unusual for a male to attempt to mate by mounting and dismounting for 45 minutes or so before actually succeeding in a "tie".

.

With dogs this small you may try sliding her rear paws a little forward once he's mounted to lower her rear slightly which may allow him to connect better or give him a little platform to place his rear legs on to raise him. However, I've seen large dogs lay down to allow a smaller male to mate when they are in the right phase of he.at.

If all else fails, it may be necessary to have artificial insemination performed. Here is an excellent site on this.

http://www.vetmed.lsu.edu/eiltslotus/theriogenology-5361/dog--white_2.htm

http://www.vivo.colostate.edu/hbooks/pathphys/reprod/semeneval/dog.html

.

And purchase kits from here:

http://www.equitainer.com/Canine/AIKit.htm

http://www.pinnaclepetsupply.com/ai-kits.htm

http://www.camelotfarms.com/other_products.php

.

I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .

.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well. Please recommend me to your friends and family members if they have any problems with their dog as well. I would truly appreciate it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm sorry I didn't mention that the female is in actual standing heat, so she is ready.

I will try again and will let you know what happens. Thanks for your help.

Marie,.If you decide to do AI, let me know as I have some video links that would be helpful. No need to reply.