Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Severe sarcoptic mange...this dog is in a shelter, she is

Severe sarcoptic mange...this dog is in a shelter, she is very sweet, they have been treating the mange since April. The dog has been taking a number of antibiotics and ivermectin. It starts to clear up and comes back with a vengeance. She is in much pain.

The vet said she has become immune to all the meds...the mange is attacking from under the skin.she has now broken out in more sores under her belly.

Ideas?
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

I'm sorry to hear about this dog.

I would try using Interceptor on her if the Ivermectin is not working. Interceptor is quite effective, but it can be more expensive, Many shelters will have donated meds, so the cost may not be too bad.

The dose I use is 1-2 mg/kg orally once weekly for 4 treatments. This resolves Sarcoptes in most dogs.

If it has not been rechecked in a while, I would also get skin scrapings to make sure there is not Demodex mites present. I would also probably use a round of antibiotics (Cephalexin) to treat any secondary bacterial infections.

To help with the itching, we'll also often put these dogs on a 3-7 day course of a steroid (Prednisone).

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What about the Lime Sulfur Dip? Would that be any good?

Those are better for Demodex, not Sarcoptes. Interceptor is more effective for Sarcoptes.