Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

I have a 10.5 yr old Rottweiler. Male. In the past 6 months

I have a 10.5 yr old Rottweiler. Male. In the past 6 months he can not eat hard food or he will throw it up almost immediately and he has lost about 30-35 lbs his stomach is caved in ribs and butt bones sticking out. I now feed him soft homemade food that is a (random by week) mixture of ground beef, chicken or turkey, salmon, and chicXXXXX XXXXXver or gizzards. With rice, pumpkin, sweet potatos, oats, and plain yogurt, a little bit of green beans, apples or bananas. He also gets a boiled egg every morning. He has been tested and vaccinated regularly for worms and is healthy of sound and mind. He is constantly hungry and has not gained back any of his weight. I take very good care of my dogs but am not willing to take a 10.5 year old dog to the vet to have tests done, medications given and talked into surgeries that may or may not do any good. It is too costly and I feel as though at this age those types of things could potentially make his wonderful life wither even faster. He has never been tested or diagnosed with cancer of any sort but its possible. Please any help you can give would be wonderful.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

I'm sorry about the long wait.

With this degree of weight loss, it's almost certain to be some type of cancer you're dealing with. The hard part is finding the cancer and knowing what type it is. My guess would be some type of intestinal cancer- either intestinal adenocarcinoma or intestinal Lymphoma.

I understand your feeling about not wanting to do a bunch of tests or surgical exploratories. It's not wrong to just want to let him live out his life.

I would probably put him on a steroid like Prednisone. This is to make sure he keeps his appetite/ thirst normal and it can sometimes help to slow down the spread of cancers. It's not curing anything and it's not putting anything into remission like Chemotherapy would, but it can help improve their quality of life.

I would also consider adding some puppy food to his diet. Puppy food is much higher in calories and it can help get some more fat/ calories in him even if he's eating the same amount.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Hi Allena,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lance. How is everything going?