Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

We noticed our 5yr old Aussie has left some kind of discharge

We noticed our 5yr old Aussie has left some kind of discharge on the bed. She was spayed at six months. She is overweight and we're working on that. What could it be? She really won't lay on her back for a good look if you know what I mean. :(

My name isXXXXX've professionally worked with animals for over 16 years dealing with both health and behavioral issues. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It does sound like it might be vagititis or a skin dermatitis of the fold of the vulva if this is a whitish or clearer discharge. Usually with vaginitis there is a discharge, so that may be what you have noticed. You can read about vaginitis here:

If this is a skin fold dermatitis, You will want to keep the area clean and dry. Benzoyl Peroxide wipes are also effective for cleaning the folds as well and to keep bacteria in the area down. You should apply miconazole cream to help clear the dermatitis if it is yeast type dermatitis. You may also want to have your vet prescribe an antibiotic to help clear this infection up. Once the infection itself is cleared, keeping the area dry and free of bacteria with the wipes should help keep it cleared. You can read about skin fold dermatitis here:

If your girl is overweight like you say, getting her weight down will also help as being overweight does contribute to the amount of skin folds in the area.

Until you can get into the Vet, you could clean the area with the wipes as I describe and apply miconazole cream which might take care of the problem if it is a skin fold yeast dermatitis. Since she doesn't want you looking at it, you might fashion temporary muzzle and have someone help you keep her still so you can tend to the area. Once she realizes that you are helping her, she might be easier to handle.

Now some spayed females do develop a serious uterine infection called stump pyometra. It can occur if the complete uterus is not removed. It isn't a common occurrence but can occur so if she ever develops a bloody discharge or is vomiting, has diarrhea along with a loss of appetite and swollen abdomen, that would be something to think about.

Another thing to consider is an anal gland issue. The anal glands are located near the rectum and when firm fecal matter pass by, they express a small amount of fluid on the fecal matter. This identifies the fecal matter as belonging to your dog and also tells other dogs about your dog's health, etc. If a dog has had less than firm bowel movements, the anal glands can be come full and seep. This does tend to happen when they scoot on the ground or shift in bed. The pressure on the gland causes the discharge. This problem can usually be resolved by emptying out the glands. To empty them or express them, you will want to cover the area with a tissue and press your finger on the dog's anal glands with an upward motion. A foul smelling liquid should come out. If nothing comes out and your dog appears to be in pain, you should take him to the Vet. Your vet or a groomer can do this easily, as he is experienced at it.

Excellent site on anal glands

I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click hereand bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well. Please recommend me to your friends and family members if they have any problems with their dog as well. I would truly appreciate it.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Zoey Oatmeal. How is everything going?