Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.

my dogs paw has started to bleed, and it wont stop. As so

my dog's paw has started to bleed, and it won't stop. As soon as she walks it starts again. She is old and has some health issues, but this is happening now. Should I take her to an overnight vet, or bandage and wait till morning?
Hello there! My name isXXXXX and I am sorry to hear about Dookies foot. I would recommend just making sure the paw is clean around the area that is bleeding. use a warm soft wash cloth if you need to clean the area off. Then apply a moderate layer of gauze over the area bleeding. Then apply a bandage. You want to apply the bandage snug to apply pressure but not so tight to cut off circulation. Then I would call your vet first thing in the morning to get her in to be seen and have the paw addressed. I do not think you need to take her to an over night vet at this point. I think a bandage will do the trick tonight until you can get her seen tomorrow.