Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My 1yr old Bichon Friese seems to have got into something in

My 1yr old Bichon Frise seems to have got into something in one of my new roommates room because she has been acting very strange every since. She first began whining and unable to make up her mind to sit, lay or pace. She started panting heavy, but that could be because she has been non-stop pacing for the past hour. She vomited about a half hour ago a white mucous (sp?) consistency with with what appears to look like green chili. What can I do to calm her down? I cannot afford a trip to the vet, she's already drained my bank account from previous multiple ER visits (dx liver shunts) and recently lost my job. Desperately need home remedies please because I love, love, love this little girl.  We've been through a lot together and I just want to get her as comfortable and calm as possible.  

Already Tried:

1)Placing her in her carrier to restrict her movement: Result: She freaked out, got worse anxiety, heavier breathing and began shaking until I got her out of it. Forgot she was claustrophobic until I got this reaction, eeek!

2)Holding her tight to me while walking back and forth was the only thing that has worked so far but after 20 min, hasn't resolved her issues. Should I try placing her in her crate and placing a blanket over it?  Is there anything I can give her that will calm her down?

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am so sorry to hear that Bella has gotten into something. Do you have any idea what this may have been?

My concern would be that it is something toxic or something such as marijuana and there may not be any at home treatment especially for a dog that has a liver shunt as the liver is what filters things from the body.

One thing you could try is Pepcid AC to help settle the stomach. A small dog can have 1/2 of a 10mg tablet every 12 hours.

I would keep a close eye on her and if she declines in any way or you find that it was a drug or something toxic then I would try to find a way to have her seen by a vet.

Please let me know how she is doing. Please reply back if you have additional questions.
Candy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I looked for chocolate wrappers and didn't see anything else suspicious (marijuana), she was in there for a very short time (>3 min). I do know he had pizza with lots of garlic salt, green chili, pepperoni and pineapple and she did vomit something that looks like green chili...could that be it?

Ok I am glad you looked around. If he picked off the green chilies then yes that is possible but if she ate the pizza I would expect to see something more then the chilies come up.
I would try the Pepcid AC and see if this helps. I would also feed a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice for the next 2 days to allow the stomach to rest.
Hi Felicia,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bella. How is everything going?

Candy