Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 16+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My dog is 8 months maltese\bichon friese she has good stools

Customer Question

My dog is 8 months maltese\bichon friese she has good stools hard, regular nochange inndiet after first heat and trip to groomer she has a reddish tint discharge from rectrum no smell no amounts of anything but it makes her crazy licking her anus she is happy,no differenence in behavior HELP
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sir or Madam,.

My name isXXXXX've professionally worked with animals for over 16 years dealing with both health and behavioral issues. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

.

How long has this been happening?

Did the groomer express her anal glands?

Have you done anything to stop the behavior?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it has been going on about 10 days right after the groomer unsure if anal glands were expelledfreqent bathing and just restraing her gently from licking seems a bit better but it has no smell

Deb,

,

You can go ahead and call the groomer, but I suspect that the groomer expressed the anal glands and may have even used a little more force than necessary. Many dogs after having the glands expressed continue to have discomfort in the area for a few days. Since you are seeing a little seepage, it might even indicate that there may be a bit of infection in the area.

.

You might try alternating warm compress with some cold packs. Sometime this will help ease some of the discomfort and the ice can help if there is inflammation. Check to be sure there isn't a rupture which might look like a sore area near the rectum. If there is, you could flush the area with warm water, disinfect with hydrogen peroxide and apply neosporin a few times a day.

.

If the behavior continues to be excessive, then I would have her checked over by your vet . Here is a great site on the anal glands.

Ihttp://www.dr-dan.com/analsac.htm

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_anal_sacs.html

Another reason for a dog to lick the rectal area excessively would be tapeworms. Tapeworms release segments that exit the anus and spread tapeworm eggs into the environment. They can cause severe itching in some dogs. They can usually be seen in the stool and are small about 1/2 inch moving things. If the stool has dried, they look like rice in the stool or stuck in the hair around the anus. Drontal plus is also a prescription product and is used for the treatment of Tapeworms, though dewormers with praziquantel work well against tapeworms.

An allergic condition might cause excessive licking as well. If the hair wasn't trimmed back in the area, dried fecal matter caught in the hair might be a cause as well. If the hair was trimmed way back, she may have sustained a mild burn from the clippers or even a nick leading to the licking. Triple antibiotic ointment or neosporin would be appropriate for this as well.

I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .

.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well. Please recommend me to your friends and family members if they have any problems with their dog as well. I would truly appreciate it.

.

Experience: Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 16+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
Hi Deb Martini,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Madelaine. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Seems to be working peroxide helping getting neosporin today thanks no tapeworm stool healthy and firm somw grassin it

Deb,.Glad to hear it. Sounds like you are doing a good job. Thanks for the update.