Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have bred dogs and shown dogs for 20 years.

my dog was at the park and got in to some sort of oil. He licked

my dog was at the park and got in to some sort of oil. He licked some of is off before i gave him a bath should i be worried
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 9 months ago.
Hi, I'm Dr. Deb. I will do my best to assist you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Dynamo. I do have a few questions to ask about him first, if you don't mind:

1. Can you give me an idea of how much oil he might have ingested?
2. Any guesses as to what kind of oil it was?
3. Any vomiting or drooling?

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

1. I dont know how much, he was just licking off of his body for a few minutes.

2.It was a clear oil maybe motor oil from a lawn mower. We were at our neighborhood park and he was rolling in the grass.

3. No vomiting or drooling.

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 9 months ago.
Rob:
Thanks so much for the answers to my questions.

More than likely Dynamo didn't ingest enough of the oil to cause a problem since he's not currently showing any symptoms.
But in cases like this, you DO NOT want to induce vomiting since more harm might be caused by doing so.
Just to be safe, I would advise the following:

I would give him milk to help neutralize whatever oil he might have ingested.
I would give him human, over the counter Pepcid AC at a dose of 1/4th mg per pound of body weight twice a day which can help for stomach irritation.
I would feed him a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice for a few days just to be safe since diarrhea might develop.

If he starts to vomit or drool or act drunk or unusual in any way, then I would have him seen but it sounds like he didn't ingest enough to cause a problem.

I hope this helps. Deb
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

any advice on how to get the oil off his coat. i already gave him a bath but he is still oily.

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 9 months ago.
Rob:
Dawn Dishwashing liquid is usually what I recommend for problems like this. He may need to be washed several times before all of the oil is removed.

Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: I have bred dogs and shown dogs for 20 years.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 9 months ago.
Rob:
Thanks so much for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

I'd like to check back in with you in a few days just to make sure that Dynamo is OK.
I'll send you a follow up email to which you can respond when you have the time.

Please ignore the information request. Regards, Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 9 months ago.
Rob:
I'm just following up on our conversation about Dynamo. How's he doing? Deb