How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Scott Nimmo Your Own Question
Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 18935
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr Scott Nimmo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 8yr old dog woke up with swelling around his shoulder one-day

This answer was rated:

My 8yr old dog woke up with swelling around his shoulder one-day and at first I did not think it was a big deal because he was still walking on it. So, I iced his shoulder. The next day he was not uSing his front right leg and his shoulder had increased significantly in swelling. I took his to the vet and he had xrays to make sure it was not his bone. Turns out lil bit has nothing wrong with his bones but there is infection in the muscle by his shoulder. He was given 10days of clavamox. After treatment was complete he was so much better but still had residual swelling. I took him to the vet for the second time and gave lil bit another seven days which didn't not work because his swelling increases. Itook him for the 3rd and he was placed on baytril for ten day.s. He is on the 7th day of baytril and he has not improved nor gotten worse. What other med can he take? ??
Hello, and welcome.

Sorry to hear about Lil Bit's problem.

My name isXXXXX am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

1. There is quite a range of antibiotics which could be used, the ones you have had so far are first class products but if I was going to rely on drugs alone I would consider something like Antirobe next : LINK

2. However my suggestion to use antirobe is really just a guess based on my past experience and knowledge of such drugs.

But ..... It could be that antibiotics alone are not the answer, I would be suspicious that Lil Bit may have an abscess deep in the tissues which would account for what you are seeing, if this is the case having your vet lance it would be your best way forward, once any contaminated pus is withdrawn healing with antibiotics would be so much more likely.

Also if you can get a sample from deep in the tissue your vet can run tests { Bacteriology and Sensitivity } to work out which would be the antibiotic most likely to resolve things.

What to about it? : Have your vet check out Lil Bit again and see if further procedures such as lancing would be of value.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The vet suggest having an ultrasound do you think that would be beneficial? ? The first time he got the infection his arm was huge and was advisied that if it popped to let it drain but it never popped

Hello again,

Yes an ultrasound scan would be a very good way to show if there was an abscess deep in the tissues.

Where an abscess is near the surface then it can indeed " pop " and this is always a good thing as healing often then follows. However this may not happen when the abscess is deeper and lancing may then be required.


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello again, I took my dog for the 4th time now to see a new Dr. She has referred me to a specialist to have a biopsy done since he has not responded to the medication. He has been running a fever almost daily since the first sign of infection. She prescribed him another week of baytril to control his temperature. He has an appointment with the specialist this coming Tuesday (7/16) for the biopsy. I will inform you on the results.

Thank you

Hello again Priscilla,

Thanks for the update, please let me know how Lil Bit gets on ... I was wondering how he was doing.


Dr Scott Nimmo and other Dog Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I received the worst diagnosis possible today. Little bit has a mast cell tumor that has spread his lymph node. It is a possible stage 2 or 3 but I will not know till the results come back. Little bit actually turns 9 In December and being that the prognosis of curing him are not good, I have decided that the best thing to do is pallative care. I'm heart broken and thanks for your help.

Related Dog Questions