Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.
10315041

my dog has a red scabby rash all over his rear and chest severe

Customer Question

my dog has a red scabby rash all over his rear and chest severe hair loss and is scratching badly
Category: Dog
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome back,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and I will try my best to answer to your question to your satisfaction. However to enable me to do so with accuracy I need a little more information, so before we start can you please answer the following ...

1. Do you have any other dogs in the house which Boss is in contact with, if so are their skins OK?

Then give me fifteen minutes or so to think things through, prepare an answer, and type things up. I will then get straight back to you and we can talk things over.

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

there are other dogs he has contact with and their skin is fine, I thought it may be his yard there are prickly weeds that I thought he may be sitting or laying on ive tried to keep them weed eated down however his skin condition is getting worse with his butt completely bald, ive been trying to cal my vet for the last couple days and the line has been busy

Hello again Trevor and thanks for the quick reply.

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think, ... lets get started.

1. That was the answer I was looking for as if he is in contact with other dogs and their skin is fine then the condition you are seeing is unlikely to be sarcoptic mange or any other contagious form of skin disease.

2. If you exclude the above as seems likely then you are often left with a diagnosis of Atopic Dermatitis { Atopy } as being the next most common condition, this is basically an allergic dermatitis and the treatment option broadly speaking would be :

A. Some cases of atopy are due to an allergy to a small protein in the saliva of the flea which the flea passes when it bites. Stringent flea control is a must not only on your dog but in the house as well. Where a dog is hypersensitive only a couple of bites may be enough to trigger a massive skin reaction. The hind end area is often the most affected part in cases such as this.

B. It can be an allergy to components of the diet so consider a hypo allergenic diet, your vet will advise, there are a few on the market. If you go down this road your dog will have to be fed only this and water and it may take six weeks for this approach to show any signs of success.

C. Other allergies are more difficult such as to pollen or house dust mites, these dogs can be maintained on drugs such as antihistamines, steroids or atopica. Antibiotics may also be used in the early stages.

D. Other treatment for skin allergies are possible such as desensitisation.

What to do about it?: While atopy is the most likely diagnosis be aware that there are other possibilities as well. For that reason my advice would be to have a vet check your dog over at the next available opportunity and so get treatment started on the right track.

There is often nothing much you can do for this sort of disease on a home remedy basis, sorry, but prescription drugs from your vet can quickly make a big difference and quickly make your dog more comfortable ...

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott

Hi Trevor,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Boss. How is everything going?

Vet Answers Vet