How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jane Lefler Your Own Question
Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 19182
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Jane Lefler is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My beagle stepped on a plug and got shocked this morning. He

This answer was rated:

My beagle stepped on a plug and got shocked this morning. He was immediately wobbly and shaking. When I got home from work he was alittle worse. I took him to the vet and he said he didn't think it had anything to do with the shock but that he thinks he had spinal cord problems. He have him a shot of prednisone and now 2 hrs later he won't even try to walk . I don't know what to do go to a different vet or wait until morning. I'm terribly upset any advice ?
Hi Sir or Madam,.

My name isXXXXX've professionally worked with animals for over 16 years dealing with both health and behavioral issues. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

.

I need to ask for some additional information. Once I receive your responses, it will likely take 30-40 minutes to type my response. I hope you can be patient.

.

What type of plug did your dog step on?

Did the foot slip off of it?

Prior to this, has he always jumped up on things?

He did go up and down steps normally before this, right?

Did he have any twisting or vigorous exercise recently?

How old is your beagle?

.

.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hes 4 years old it was a plug that was only half way into the extension cord. He had no problems walking running or jumping until after he got shocked. No unusual exercise. I didn't see him step on it but after the squeal I seen the plug wasn't in and figured he stepped on it.

JaCustomer,

.

Most cases of shock involve chewing and in those cases, a shock can be quite serious. You can read about this here:http://www.petmd.com/dog/emergency/accidents-injuries/e_dg_electric_shock#.Ud4KWUGTi2U

.

I know you probably don't want to hear this, but I do agree with your vet, but let me tell you why. Beagles are known to already be prone to disc injuries. You dog may very well have been shocked by the plug and as a result jumped or twisted abnormally leading to a disc injury. This type of disc injury due to twisting or slipping actually happens often in dogs that are already prone to disc issues such as the dachshund, chihuahua and beagle. .Your vet really should have explained what he thought happened rather than just tell you it was a spinal cord problem. The sudden abnormal movement from being shocked would have caused an injury to the disc. It would not be immediately noticeable as it would take some time for the inflammation to occur and start affecting the nerves in the spine. This type of issue can be serious and even lead to permanent paralyses.
I'm going to give you a couple of pages that go over disc issues in dogs and then I'm going to give you a site that discusses IVDD which beagles are prone to. The IVDD page talks about dachshunds but the condition is the same in beagles. http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-thoracolumbar-area-in-dogs/page1.aspx

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-cervical-area/page1.aspx

http://www.dachshund-dca.org/discbook.html

.

Since this appears to have been an injury, I think there is a good possibility that you will see improvement once the inflammation goes down. The prednisone was a good choice. However, it may take a little time for the inflammation to be reduced and as you have seen, your dog might not be able to move around until it does reduce. The vet should have also recommended strict inactivity to give the injury time to heal. If you have to pick the dog up be sure you scoop the rear up and place a hand on the chest so you can lift the dog up and keep the spin in the normal position.

.

At this point, I would bring food and water to the dog and even when he can start moving around, I would keep him inactive for at least 3-4 days. You have already had him to the vet so taking him to your vet or getting a second opinion could be done tomorrow. If you do this, ask him could the shock have caused him to twist and injure the disc as I think happened. Definitely read the web sites I have supplied so you have as much information as possible and can discuss the situation in a knowledgeable manner with the vet.

.

I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .

.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well. Please recommend me to your friends and family members if they have any problems with their dog as well. I would truly appreciate it.

.

 

.

Jane Lefler and 2 other Dog Specialists are ready to help you
Hi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Jane Lefler