Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

my little dog got into a tussle with a bigger dog over food. we

my little dog got into a tussle with a bigger dog over food.
we separated them almost immediately.
she is unable to open her right eye.
there is no blood.
is there anything i can do to alleviate the swelling?
I plan to take her to the vet tomorrow morning.

Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Of course, because this is an injury to the eye, the best thing to do is to have her seen at an emergency vet tonight so that they can use a special stain on the eye to locate the damage and then get her started on medications to help control the swelling and help keep the eye from getting infected. If you're unsure where an emergency vet is in your area, you can go to: XXXXX XXXXX plug in your zip code..they'll point you in the right direction.

That being said...if you deicde to wait until morning to have her regular vet take a peek at her, then you should do your best to keep her from re-traumatizing the eye by rubbing it on the floor or pawing at it. Of course, you should also keep her separated from the dog she got into the scuffle with to begin with.

You can try using a cold pack on the eye if she'll allow it. I like using frozen packages of vegetables, but you can use anything that is cold. Make sure you put a towel between the icy item and the eye just so we don't risk frostbite on top of the already injured eye.

If Boo seems especially painful from this eye, you can give her 1 child's aspirin (ONLY aspirin...products that contain ibuprofen, acetaminophen or naproxen sodium are all toxic to dogs, even in very small amounts) once every 12 hours or so. Just try to give it with some food to avoid upsetting her stomach, and don't give it for longer than 2 days without consulting your vet.

I hope this helps.