Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

what can be done to relieve rectal polyps besides surgery?

what can be done to relieve rectal polyps besides surgery? Have done surgical removal twice, they grow back. there is fresh blood in stool because of the polyps, dog is uncomfortable and trys to eliminate often. Thanks for your time.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Treating these polyps like we do in people with colonoscopy and removal is the best management.

When surgery is not an option, the next best option is treating with a medication called Piroxicam. This is an anti-inflammatory medication that has some anti-tumor effects. It's also used in the treatment of bladder and urethral tumors in dogs.

i hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What are the side effects of this drug and how ez is it on the stomach? Thanks for your time.

The biggest side effects are decreased stomach protection and the possibility of GI ulcers. If we have side effects, we can use a lower dose and they usually resolve.
Hi Betty,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ginger. How is everything going?