Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian

IS Sedalin safe to use for dogs? My vet gave me this to sedate

IS Sedalin safe to use for dogs? My vet gave me this to sedate my very hyperactive dog for a long plane ride...All the info I'm finding is for horses.
Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your 9 year old girl whom your Vet has prescribed Sedalin for (for travel). Yes - some Vets do prescribe Sedalin for this purpose, and it will settle your girl down for this plane ride. The active ingredient is ACP - acepromazine and this is definitely used in canine and feline medicine as a sedative. It is typically used as a pre-medication prior to surgery in dogs and cats, but it can be used for this purpose as well.

If your Vet has prescribed this for your girl then you can use it as he or she has prescribed it and I am sure it will definitely help for the plane ride.

You can read more about the use of ACP in dogs online here:

You won't find a lot in a search for 'Sedalin' as that is just a trade name for the active ingredient.

I hope this helps and best of luck with your girl (and your travels if you are going with her!). Don't forget to click a smiley :-D face if this has been helpful.

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks so much for your quick reply. Are there any side effects that I should look for that might indicate that she is not reacting well to the sedative?

Hi there - no problem!

The typical side effects seen are lethargy and wobbliness on the feet, however it is a sedative, so in a way these would be expected. You aren't likely to see any other side effects if your Vet has prescribed a dose to settle your girl down.

I hope that helps.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Pet Doc
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Fine. We are traveling on Tuesday. I did test the Sedalin on her this week. She was very lethargic and "drugged" acting for over 12 hours. Although I'm glad it lasts this long (our trip will be 15 hours) it still worries me a bit that the drug had such a strong effect. Thanks so much for everything!

No problem and safe travels.

Dr E