Jessica
Jessica, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Licensed Veterinary Tech with 7 years experience in small animal practice
4591073

My 9 month old spayed female bulldog has a swollen red bump

My 9 month old spayed female bulldog has a swollen red bump on her urethra - about the size of a marble. She hasn't been eating well for the past few days, I thought it was just the hot weather, could she have a bladder infection?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jessica replied 1 year ago.

Jessica :

Hi there! Maybe I can be of help.

Jessica :

You say there is a marble sized raised red bump on her urethra, but I think you might mean her vaginal area, am I correct?

Jessica :

This would NOT be indicative of a bladder infection. With a UTI (urinary tract infection, aka bladder infection), what you would notice is Makenzie would be urinating more frequently, but not passing much urine, drinking more, perhaps licking the area which might redden it but wouldn't cause a round bump like you're describing.

Jessica :

The bump could be several things, so if the dog's behavior seems off, I recommend calling your vet in regards XXXXX XXXXX tomorrow. While it is unlikely to be something serious like cancer, it is always best to have a vet check any new lumps or bumps that appear with no apparent cause. This could be something as simple as an ingrown hair, a cyst, or a pimple that has become infected. It could also be a benign tumor or a papilloma (wart). A vet would want to check the bump, and perhaps stick a needle into it to see what kind of cells are present. It could just be that, seeing that she is a bulldog, the heat and this bump are coincidental....we all know bulldogs aren't huge fans of hot weather! :-)

Customer:

Yes, I do mean her vaginal area, the bump appears to be red and chaffed.

Jessica :

http://www.dog-health-guide.org/doglumpsonskin.html Here is a good link to check out regarding lumps and bumps on dogs. This may help a bit as well!

Jessica :

Is she licking or scooting around? That may have irritated the lump.

Customer:

She hasn't been licking or scooting. It may help to know that she was just spayed 3 weeks ago.

Jessica :

Well, there would be no reason the spay itself would cause a marble sized red irritated lump on her vagina. How did her spay incision heal up? Normally?

Customer:

Her incision has been slightly irritated, the vet asked us to put antibiotic cream on it just to make sure it does not get infected. Her incision is rather bumpy and hard, unlike when our other dog was spade. I don't thing the spaying is related to this issue. When I put the chaffing cream on her, she did not seem as if it hurt.

Jessica :

I would definitely take her back to the vet to have this bump checked. The fact that it appeared suddenly is concerning, but as I said, it very well could be something simple and easy to deal with. Some dogs have reactions to the suture or staples used in the spay and develop seromas, which are kind of hard lumps of serum under the skin from the body reacting to the foreign material OR if a little piece of suture is rubbing wrong inside (there are dissolvable sutures inside to close the muscle walls and then the suture or staples that you can see that close the skin). If she has been active, that can cause seromas along the spay incision too. They should go away on their own as she heals. the antibiotic cream is a good idea just in case! But you definitely need to bring this strange lump to the vet's attention.

Customer:

Ok-thanks Jessica, we'll get her in ASAP - have a great evening!

Jessica :

Let me know how it turns out. Hopefully, it's nothing to be alarmed about and easy to fix! Give her lots of hugs. :-) Good night!

Experience: Licensed Veterinary Tech with 7 years experience in small animal practice
Expert:  Jessica replied 1 year ago.
Hi Krista! I just wanted to check in on Makenzie and see if you had gotten in to the vet yet about the lump. The poor little girl has been through so much in her 9 months on the planet! I hope it ended up being nothing to worry about. Let me know what you find out and what they did about it! Have a great day and thank you!

Jes K