Jessica
Jessica, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Licensed Veterinary Tech with 7 years experience in small animal practice

I dont have a vet, how can I purchase Doncit without a pr

Customer Question

I don't have a vet, how can I purchase Doncit without a prescription?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jessica replied 1 year ago.

Jessica :

Good evening. Unfortunately, if these are actually maggots you are seeing as opposed to tapeworm segments, which can look similar to the untrained eye, you must bring King to the vet ASAP. The presence of maggots indicates there may be a wound inside or around his anus or rectum that requires veterinary care. It may also mean a cuterebra (botfly) infestation if they have burrowed under the skin. Dewormer of any type isn't going to do anything for him in this case. He must be seen by a vet to determine A. if these are indeed maggots and what type, B. where they are coming from exactly and why they are present, and C. be immediately treated for them and the underlying issue. I've dealt with maggot cases numerous times (much to my chagrin!) and what usually happens is the animal is sedated and the area is shaved and inspected closely. Wounds are cleaned and maggots are flushed out or picked out one by one. I would highly recommend seeing a vet as soon as possible. If he has an infected wound, it will only get worse, and you could potentially lose him. PLEASE let me know how this plays out for you. If I can be of more help, do not hesitate to contact me.

Customer:

I don't see any open wound but shows there are larva in his winter fur around his anus, since it's so damp around his house, I believed that made his dirty fur the residence of the maggots. I don't see any coming out from his anus now Any advice of any meds to kill these maggots. I am going to shave his winter coat tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.

Experience: Licensed Veterinary Tech with 7 years experience in small animal practice
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I am so sorry no one has provided and answer for you My name is XXXXX XXXXX X have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years and I would be happy to help.

While Droncit is prescription you can get medications over the counter that cover tap worms in dogs.

One good dewormer is Virbantel click here

Larger pet stores also carry a dewormer called Safeguard 8 in 1 Click here

I hope this helps and again I apologize that you did not receive an answer sooner.
Please reply back if I can be of any further assistance.
Candy
Expert:  Jessica replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, I saw you had replied about poor King! There's a risk of poisoning when you try using over the counter insecticides to kill maggots on a dog, so I do not recommend much past shaving the area to look closely for injury/wounds, washing him with a dog safe bath product,and picking off the maggots you can see. However, since you cannot be sure they have not invaded his rectal area (or migrated anywhere else), I must urge you to find a vet to examine King properly to be positively sure there is no internal injury or that they have not migrated into other systems, which can be fatal. If they make their way inside his body, there could be very dangerous repercussions. But only a licensed vet can tell you if he believes they have done this. If they are on his skin and fur only, a vet can pick them off individually. A broad spectrum anti-parasite medication should be prescribed to kill off any that may have migrated elsewhere. I know it's costly to see a vet, and maybe you're in an area with few or no vets, which makes it terribly difficult, but with maggots I really tend to want to err on the safest side possible. Due to King's age, as well, we want to be really careful. If things check out fine, ask the vet about a monthly flea and tick preventative/heartworm preventative with deworming capabilities that you can safely give to your dog that may help with avoiding this issue in the future. I would NOT use store bought flea/tick products...stick with the ones the veterinarian backs. They tend to be safest with fewer side effects. The article I link to below helps explain this further. I think you'll find it informative:

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/flea_tick_OTC_pet_products.html

As for the treatment/prevention protocol, here is the link to the article I sent you previously, and I have quoted the course/recommendations below:

From http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/infectious-parasitic/c_multi_cuterebrosis?page=2#.UeBSjNLVAZw:

"Treatment

If the maggot is at the end of its migratory stage and has settled into a spot on the body, such as under the skin, eyes, or nose, your veterinarian will be able to remove it safely. Manifestations of lung migration may be alleviated by corticosteroids. If the parasite has led to irreversible neurological damage the prognosis will be poor and euthanasia may be the only option.

Your veterinarian will probably prescribe a broad-spectrum anti-parasite medication, which should kill maggots still in the migrating stage. A corticosteroid treatment will be given before administering the medication. The anti-parasite medication can be administered either to alleviate the signs caused by maggots suspected of migrating in the lungs, or to kill larvae in other tissues, including the central nervous system.

Prevention

There does not seem to be any prolonged immunity to infestation; a dog can develop skin lesions several years in a row. Application of monthly heartworm preventives, flea development control products, or topical flea and tick treatments may either prevent the maggots from developing in the dog, or may kill the maggots before they have time to gain access to an orifice for entry."

I know you want King to be safe and healthy, and I do too! I love animals dearly and do not want you to be misinformed or receive incomplete information. Let me know what happens next with King, and what you decide to do. I certainly hope he is just fine and there isn't anything to worry about. But since we feel these are truly maggots, I unfortunately have to refer you to your local veterinarian for proper diagnosis and treatment of this issue. I wish you both the best, keep me in the loop.

Cordially,
Jes