Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

My dog collapsed on 7/4 and was diagnosed with Lyme Disease

My dog collapsed on 7/4 and was diagnosed with Lyme Disease on 7/5 via an office blood screening test and then IDEXX C6 test. She is on Doxycycline and is rapidly improving. My question is about other medications and vaccinations. She was previously taking Tameril-P for allergies and is due for an DHLPP vaccination. Can she still take the Tameril-P and have the vaccination after diagnosis and during treatment? I have called my Vet but they have not gotten back to me yet. Thank you.

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. Thank you for your question. I'm glad to hear that Happy is rapidly improving with her current therapy. There shouldn't be any reaction with the Doxycycline and the Temaril-P ingredients. There is 2 mg of prednisolone in each tablet and for a very small dog this may be enough to cause some immune suppression which wouldn't be ideal for a current Lyme infection case. But, that would be a concern for dogs less than 5 pounds or so. As far as her being due for the DHLPP vaccine at this time, I would hold off on this till she's through her course of Doxycycline and 100% back to normal. There is honestly not a rush to vaccinate her.