Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My Kelpie for the past couple days has been getting what looks

Customer Question

My Kelpie for the past couple days has been getting what looks to me as mosquito bites all over the top of her back by her neck and is moving down to her front legs. At first I thought they might be mosquito bites but when they started spreading I decided to give her benedryl. She stopped itching at them, but I felt there is morning and they are still all over. What should I do? I was thinking of calling her vet today but wanted to see if there were any other remedies first, and I was scared to leave for work and give her benedryl.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. Thank you for your question about Ruca. I'm sorry to hear about her skin situation. Dogs can be bit by mosquitos, but this isn't usually a big problem due to their coat serving as a barrier. Also, with these spreading, that doesn't fit with bites from a mosquito. Do the spots almost look like little pimples? Is she loosing hair in these areas?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX losing hair in these areas yet, it was hard for me to find them and see them, but I saw one briefly last night and it looks like a big hive, it's red and very swollen. Also last night she kept flapping her ears like they were bothering her to so I don't know if its spreading to her ears now.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that information. With her flapping her ears, she may be having some discomfort in her ears from "this" going on her back and neck. These little spots, could be hives from an allergic reaction. But, they usually don't persist for days. Hives usually come up and resolve in a few hours in most cases. I'd be very suspicious that these bumps are areas of dermatitis - bacterial skin infection. These can be very itchy and irritating. The best thing to help get relief from this type of situation is a short course of oral antibiotics. The ear situation, I would be curious to venture if there might be the early beginnings of an ear infection. This may or may not be related. Any time ear flapping is going on, the inner ear just has to be suspect. Given her situation, the best thing that can be done is a vet visit for them to check her over. They can pinpoint this down and then start up the best medication to get this resolved. The sooner she's comfortable and through this, the better. When a dog keeps flapping their ears, there is a very small chance of an ear hematoma developing and this is more of an issue. They basically break a blood vessel int he ear due to the flapping and it makes a fluid filled pocket that needs to be drained.

If you look on-line, you could find "home remedies for skin and ear infections". But, they just aren't reliable or effective compared to what your vet can provide.
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience: 13 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ruca. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Dr. Bruce,

Thanks for the follow up, we took Ruca to the vet yesterday and she did just have hives and the benadryl helped her out a lot. I am so glad you told me to ask them about her ears though because she ended up having a yeast infection in there. The vet told us we caught it soon enough though that it wasn't that bad. We started putting the antibiotics in her ears this morning and she has another check up in a couple weeks, so hopefully everything will be okay by then. Thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
I'm glad to hear that Ruca is doing better here at this time! Those were some persistent hives!!! Sometimes medical cases don't read the text books. I'm glad that the Benadryl is helping her out and I hope she continues to do well. The ear situations are always better to get therapy going before they "look bad"! I'm hoping she responds well to her treatment! Let me know if any future questions come up!