Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

Hi, My dog is 13 yrs old, male and neutered. He has ACL and

My dog is 13 yrs old, male and neutered. He has ACL and we took him to canine physical therapy. The therapists had offered us Ligaplex I and fish oil to use for supplements. We put the fish oil and Ligaplex in his meal. We give him one capsule of Ligaplex once a day. He eats two meals a day but we only use one capsule for one of his meal. After a week, he started to get yellowish discharge and constantly licks them. It doesnt have a strong smell or anything. I'm thinking if it's the Ligaplex thats causing this. One thing for sure is that the Ligaplex did improve his leg. He walks faster when he has it. We stopped the Ligaplex for a week but he still has the discharge and he doesn't walk as fast pace as he did when he was on Ligaplex. He still eats and potty the same as usual. Nothing is different except the discharge and walking slower. I want to put him on Ligaplex again but not sure if this is causing him the discharge. He still loves to eat or cuddle, nothing is much different. It's been a week now that his still has discharge. Should I take him to the vet or is this something that will go away? We have another dog who tried to lick it on him. Thank you for your help in advance.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear your boy is having some trouble I would love to help I just need some clarification. It is not real clear from your question exactly where the discharge is coming from, is it coming from the penis?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi, thank you for your quick response.

Sorry i forgot to mention that. Yes, its on the tip of his penis.

My dog is 30lbs (just in case you need the info)

thank you

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome and thank you for the additional information.

I suspected this was were the discharge was coming from but wanted to be sure. This would not be what we would expect to see due to the Ligaplex and I do not think this is the cause so I would get him back on that so he is more comfortable.

Yellow discharge from the penis accompanied by excessive licking and even other dogs licking is most often due to infection. This could be infection of the sheath( the area covering the actual penis) or urinary tract. In some cases we can see this if a foreign object such as a grass seed or even dirt gets in the sheath.

Since this has been going on for a week I would suggest having him seen by the vet to see if oral antibiotics are needed to clear possible infection. They will want to look at the penis as well as possibly check a urine sample for infection.

Until you can get him in to the vet you can use saline used for cleaning contacts as this normally comes in a squirt bottle. Pull the sheath back to expose the penis and just rinse well with the saline solution.

I hope this helps and he feels better soon. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience: Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the information. I will put some saline for now until we can get him in schedule with our vet.

Thank you!

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. Please give him a good pet from me