Dr. G.
Dr. G., Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

My dog has right side CHF and has been taking Metvedin & lacix

My dog has right side CHF and has been taking Metvedin & lacix for abt two years. He is building up a lot of fluid now. He is so big now that he has difficulty getting up - he is still a relatively happy dog - shows no sign of pain. His breathing is OK - the Vetmedin is doing its job. I fear he will soon not be able to get up. What are our options?

Dr. G :

Hello, my name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can

Dr. G :

I am sorry to hear that Henry is not dog so well

Dr. G :

There are a few options here:

Dr. G :

one option is to add in one or both of the following medications: enalapril/benazepril and/or spironolactone. Those are medications that will help to drain fluid out into the urine

Dr. G :

another option is to have the belly "tapped" or drained (abdominocentesis) regularly: sometimes 1-2 times a week

Dr. G :

The lasix and vetmedin can also be increased in dose depending on the current dose

Dr. G :

Or all of the above

Customer:

Current doses Vetmedin 7.5mg per day & Salix 150 mg per day. What is time, difficulty & cost of tapping - any down sides?

Dr. G :

I need to know how much your dog weighs as well so I can calculate an appropriate dose. As far as tapping: the down side is that it will continue to fill with fluid after tapping, however that will allow for some comfort. This is a very simple procedure. Costs vary dramatically between veterinarians based on location and demographics: it could cost anywhere from $35 to $100 or more each time

Customer:

He is a normal 40 pounder but is possibly more than 50 now - cannot weigh without distressing him. If tapped will tapping requirement (fluid buildup) continually increase such that tapping frequency must be increased? If it were your dog what would you do?

Dr. G :

What frequency are you giving these medications, once a day, twice, 3 times?

Customer:

twice (1 vetmeding morn 100 salix morn & rest in evening.

Customer:

by 1 vetmedin I meant 1 pill 5mg

Dr. G :

I see. The vetmedin could potentially be increased to 5mg twice daily, and the lasix can be increased up to 150 mg every 8 hours, so there is still some wiggle room with the drugs. If this was my dog, I would probably begin enalapril and spironolactone and see how things go before moving to tapping the belly

Customer:

OK Thankyou Doctor

Dr. G :

You are very welcome. I wish you the best with Henry. Have a great day

Hi Greg,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Henry. How is everything going?

Dr. G