Dr. G.
Dr. G., Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

My Border Collie Misty has an allergy in where around the mouth

Customer Question

My Border Collie Misty has an allergy in where around the mouth between the legs and his groin is red with hives we took him to the vet two weeks ago and was given clavaseptin and Tavegil as it still continued I took him back last Wednesday and he was given a shot of steroids which I wasn't told what they were and more tavegil. Today his redness and the hives have gone down he is still red though but we have run out of tavegil we went back to the vet a new vet was there as our regular vet has gone on holiday and she refused saying she cant give him anything else and tavegil has too many side effects. I have some chlorphenamine maleate tablets 4 mg (piriton) and some Neoclarityn 5 mg (desloratadine) can I give these to my dog whilst I await for my regular vet to return from holidays I really do not wish to take Misty back there Misty weighs 20 kilos
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.

Dr. G :

Hello, my name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Customer:

Hi I am Sandra

Dr. G :

I am sorry to hear that Misty is not doing well. You can indeed give chlorpheniramine (chlorphenamine) while you wait for your vet to get back.

Customer:

What dosage should I give him ?

Customer:

he is 20 kilos in weight.

Dr. G :

You can give 8-12 mg every 12 hours

Dr. G :

There is the potential of this medication causing some mild sedation, so I would start with 8mg

Customer:

okay that should be okay as my dog is rather nervous by nature taking him for a walk can be a night mare as he is scared of dogs, cars and sudden movements

Customer:

That is why I am loathe to take him to another vet

Dr. G :

I understand that. It can be very stressful for many dogs to visit a vet period, let alone a new vet

Customer:

Thank you very much for your reply its been very helpful

Dr. G :

you are very welcome. I wish you the best with Misty. Have a great day!

Customer:

bye

Dr. G., Veterinarian
Experience: Private Practice Veterinarian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Shop only had Cetrizine hydrochloride can I give him that instead of the piriton

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.
Yes. You can give one daily instead of the piriton
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Misty. How is everything going?

Dr. G