Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

Hi, About a week ago my dog had her anal glands expressed

About a week ago my dog had her anal glands expressed at the vet and the technician told me they were full, but no infection and they were easy for her to express.
Since getting them expressed I've noticed my dog has been pooping more, like 3-4 times a day, and it seems a little mushy. She also had gas, but I don't know if it was because she was afraid of the fireworks over hte weekend or if it's something else going on with her. I haven't changed her food. She ate some bread recently at my parents house over the holiday, but nothing too unusual.
I haven't noticed this before with her. She usually gets her glands expressed at the groomers, but since i could tell they were full i took her into the vet this time.
She has been scooting a bit, but nothing excessive.
I'm just wondering if I need to bring her back to the vet.

Thanks!

Hello and thank you for asking your question. My name isXXXXX will try to help.

I doubt the soft stool, or the increase in frequency, are related to having her anal glands expressed.

It could be due to stress. The fireworks are pretty loud and it seems people, at least in my neighborhood, continue to use up their left over fireworks every night.

I would call the vet, and ask if you can drop off a fecal sample.

This would check for gastrointestinal worms, other parasites, and a bacterial infection. You have to ask them to check for a bacterial infection or they may just check for worms and other parasites. If the test comes up positive, she can be treated with oral medication.

Until her stools are normal, I would feed her a bland diet of plain cooked chicken and rice. Once she seems to be back to normal, you can gradually mix in her regular dog food.

To help firm up her stools, you can give her human immodium ad.

1/4 tablet, per 10 pounds of weight, every 8 hours as needed.

Sometimes the anal glands become irritated after they are expressed.

To help with this, you can give her human Benadryl.

1 mg of Benadryl, per pound of weight, every 12 hours as needed.

I hope this helps.

If you have additional questions, please click "reply."

Thanks