Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

I am considering adopting a 7 month old dog. The owner said

I am considering adopting a 7 month old dog. The owner said that it has not had any of its shots yet. Is this a bad idea to adopt a dog with no shots?
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.

Well, it is poor judgement, very poor, that the current owner has not taken any initiative to get shots for this puppy. Shots are generally started at about 7-8 weeks, repeated at 12 weeks and 16 weeks.

But, is it a bad idea?

As long as Bear is currently healthy, you simply need to get him into a vet and start updating his care.

This should include:
1. First set of vaccines
2. Deworming, which should be repeated a few times at 2-3 week intervals
3. A fecal test!

Bring in a fresh poop sample to the veterinarian. Ideally, within a few hours. Request that it be sent “OUT” to the laboratory instead of being looked at in the hospital (more accurate that way). We are not interested in only worm eggs, but also checking for the very common microscopic bugs like giardia and coccidia. These types of parasites will not be cured with over-the-counter dewormers. Giardia can also be difficult to identify on routine fecal tests, so ask your vet if they always add a “giardia elisa” to the fecal test. Here is more detailed information about fecal testing:
Fecal Testing

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We have another dog in our home, but she is current. Is it okay to have Bear around our dog and in our backyard? There are other dogs we could adopt that are current, but we fell in love with Bear.

You are in love with Bear.

I would at least get Bear into a vet for deworming and the fecal test. Those are my priorities to help protect your other dog.

Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you.