Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

hello, my dog is having what seems to be a wheezing attack.

hello, my dog is having what seems to be a wheezing attack. sounds like something is stuck in her throught....what is this? alergy? food poisioning? swallowed fur ball? what can i do to help my doy? best wishes, NADJA
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.
Hello there. My name isXXXXX and I am sorry to hear about Silver. Its quite possible what she is experiencing is what we call a reverse sneeze. Its caused by irritation of the back of the throat basically. It causes almost a spasm back there. So the best thing to do is exactly what you did and to try and calm her down. Gently rub her throat and head so she will relax. If you get her to calm down enough you can give her a benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 8 hours to help reduce some of the inflammation in the back of her throat probably caused by allergens. Jus monitor her closely to make sure her tongue and gum color is still good though. As long as they are nice and pink that means she is still getting good air even though it seems like she is having an attack. She should calm down shortly and you can get her the benadryl. If her color is bad or she wont calm down that is when you should consider seeking emergency care for her.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear Dr Whitehead, thank you for your answer. how should i give Silver Bendaryl -- i have never had to give her medication, thus am not sure how to do this. best wishes, NADJA

You are welcome. If she likes a little treat like cheese or turkey or peanut butter you can hide the medication in that so she eats it. If not then you will have to open her mouth and put it at the very back of her mouth as far as possible. Close her mouth and blow a little on her nose so she swallows. the treat is the easiest way to give it though.
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
Hi Nadja,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Silver. How is everything going?

Dr. Whitehead