Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  24 yrs. experience in dog training and behavior, pet first aide and therapy dog evaluation. Member of PAS Animal Response Team.
3570977

my dog threw up white phlem then kept on heaving. he was playing

my dog threw up white phlem then kept on heaving. he was playing with the kids outside and drank lots of water.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Sally Grott :

Hello, thank you for using this site to help you with your problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the dog field for 25 years. It will be my pleasure to help you today. Please understand that I may send an information request so that I may gather what I need to better help you with your problem.

Sally Grott :

Is this a standard poodle or miniature?

Sally Grott :

Did he only vomit once?

Customer:

he is a toy poodle and only vomited once then continued to heave.

Sally Grott :

Thank you for that information. He may have gotten overheated. Is he acting normal now?

Sally Grott :

He may have drank the water too fast as well

Customer:

he is laying in his bed and heaves have subsided a bit.

Sally Grott :

What I would do is take his temperature rectally it should be between 100.5 and 102.5 If it is higher you may be looking at heat exhaustion or if it is very high heat stroke.

Sally Grott :

Check the gums and make sure they are pink and not white or pale

Customer:

he is at 100.5

Sally Grott :

then push on the gums with your finger and release, the gums will blanch white, then turn back to the color they were (pink) if it takes less than one second or more than two seconds to turn back to the color then seek vet help

Sally Grott :

The temp is good

Customer:

i don't really see a change

Sally Grott :

What color are they?

Customer:

they are like brownish pinkish. the pink does come back right away after looking more closely

Sally Grott :

Okay/ . I would let her rest , her temp is good, her gums seem fine. Put a fan on her to keep her cool and monitor her vital signs as above and I will also direct you to a site that will tell you how to take other vital signs such as heart rate.

Customer:

Ok, that would be appreciated

Sally Grott :

I think she sounds worn down from the heat and the play. As for water rather than let her drink from a bowl put some ice cubes in a bowl so she stays hydrated but cannot take in too much water at once

Sally Grott :

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer:

should i fallow up in any other way

Sally Grott :

If he returns to normal he should be fine. But if you see more vomiting with food, diarrhea , lethargy and fever then see your vet

Customer:

Thank You so much, I was very worried and his vet is closed today.

Sally Grott :

You are welcome. It can be scary when they get ill like that. Just keep an eye for any abnormality tonight

Sally Grott :

I will send you a free follow up in a few days to see how things are going for you

Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience: 24 yrs. experience in dog training and behavior, pet first aide and therapy dog evaluation. Member of PAS Animal Response Team.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
I am just checking in to see how your poodle is feeling. I hope he is back to his perky self:)

Sally