Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have owned, bred and shown dogs for over 40 years.
60411192

Is it okay to feed my 5 yr old Maltese dog human food - so

Is it okay to feed my 5 yr old Maltese dog human food - so far I give him chicken with nothing on it as well as pizza crust that he loves.
Do they have the same kind of taste buds like we do?? I just feel sorry for him eating the same stuff all the time - I give him vet food - wet with a few pieces of dry for his teeth and then the chicken pieces on top.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Dogs don't have taste buds like we humans do. They can't really tell what things actually taste like...they use their noses instead. This is why a dog with an upper respiratory infection (like a cold) often won't eat...because they can't smell it.

While it's okay to give Buddy a little bit of people food as a treat, you should limit the amount he gets, just so that he doesn't get into the habit of wanting to eat people food. If he does that, you'll have a really hard time getting him to eat dog food again.

I hope this helps.
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience: AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
Hi, I'm Dr. Deb.
While I don't like to disagree with other experts on this site, I'm afraid that I have to in this particular case.
Dogs (and all mammal) do have taste buds.
They likely don't "taste" exactly the same way as we do (in other words, their taste buds may be more or less sensitive to various stimuli), but they certainly have taste buds.
I personally have no problems with feeding small amounts of people food since it adds variety to the diet...and as you say, the dogs seem to appreciate and love it so much:)

Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: I have owned, bred and shown dogs for over 40 years.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks to Joan for confirming what you said - not sure how to let her know - not that I did not believe you but always good to get another opinion especially since Buddy is my baby - no kids and only him and I all alone.

I can contact Joan and let her know that you appreciate her confirming my response.
...it's not a problem:)

I do understand how important our pets are to us...they're just like family members...and that you want to do what's best for him.
Variety is the spice of life as they say which is true for dogs as much as for humans!

Take care, Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
I wanted to thank you for the rating; it's greatly appreciated:)

Please just ignore the information request. Regards, Deb

I definitely should have clarified...I said they don't have taste buds like humans...which is true.

While humans have taste buds all over their tongues, dogs taste buds are located on the tip of their tongues. Humans have about 10,000 taste buds and dogs only have around 1700...about 17% of what people do.

So as I first stated...they do have them, just not like we humans do.

I'm sending this as an information request...but you don't need to reply to it...I just wanted to clarify what I'd said initially....I appreciate the accept!!

Have a great day!!!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your clarification - taking the time to write it - would still like to give you a rating so you get credit for it since not many people would even bother - shows your integrity.

Question to warrant a rating - what kind of human food is the best to give a dog - Buddy gets chicken all the time - buy it for him especially and pizza crust (do not eat that often).

Thanks.

If you're going to feed human food, you're going to want to stay away from foods that are high in oils or fat...also, anything containing onions should be avoided because it's toxic.

If Buddy is used to the chicken and pizza crusts...I think that's absolutely fine. Also, any sort of lean meat is great.

And I'm going to send this as an info request because you actually did already accept my first reply and I don't want you to pay twice!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did not realize that you get acknowledgement for accepting a reply.

Yes...on our end, we get a notice that our answer was accepted and when we look at it on the website, it's framed in green. Those are indicators that we were compensated.

Since my first answer wasn't as clear as I'd like it to be I sent my follow up as an information request, which elimiinates you paying doubly for the question.