petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

will a urinary tract infection cause soreness in hips

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Venus today. I am a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

A bladder infection can lead to abdominal discomfort and if the infection ascends into the kidneys, it can lead to pain along the spine and hip area.Urinary tract disease symptoms often include frequent urination or straining to urinate, but don't have to. It can be somewhat difficult at times to differentiate these kinds of symptoms from hip pain due to degenerative joint disease or arthritis.

If there is any question, you should have a urinalysis run to look for signs of infection or disease.

I hope this is helpful. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. Thank you for allowing me to assist you.

Dr Z

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

also will this cause runny stool for like a week of and on

No, a urinary tract infection should not lead to runny stool. What it sounds like you are describing is colitis or inflammation of the large bowel. The signs can be very intermittent and can vary in severity, from normal stools to mushy to very soft, all even within one day at times. Seeing mucus or blood is not unusual as well. There is a sense of urgency to move their bowels and many of the pets will strain when having a BM, which to the owner can almost look like they are constipated. Many pets with colitis have GI discomfort and some will even vomit.

Colitis can have many causes including intestinal parasites, dietary indiscretion, food allergies or intolerances, metabolic disturbances from internal organ malfunctions, viruses, toxins, cancer or even stress. If it continues, your veterinarian will want to know the history of her signs and will need to perform a physical exam to help rule out the causes mentioned. They may perhaps suggest a change in diet or medications. Make sure they also perform a rectal exam to evaluate her anal glands. A stool sample analysis is a very important part of getting to the bottom of this as intestinal parasites are one of the most common causes.

Until you can get in contact with your vet, I would fast Venus to give her GI system a rest. If she is an adult dog, a 12-24 hr fast will not hurt her and will let her gut calm down. Continue to offer small amounts of water at a time. When you do begin feeding her again, you will want to offer frequent, small meals of something very digestible for her. These would include items like boiled hamburger or chicken and rice or pasta. No sauces or gravies, but a little non greasy broth would be OK. If the stools improve, I would continue that for a few days and then slowly wean her back onto her normal food and feeding schedule.

..........

When they have been going on chronically, these GI disturbances can be frustrating to diagnose and treat and sometimes we don't even find the cause, but concentrate on controlling the symptoms so our pets are comfortable. In her case, since it appears to be an acute flare up, there is no reason to think that it won't resolve completely. Make sure to get in touch with your vet if she is not improving so they can get her treated appropriately and verify that there is nothing else going on to be causing these signs. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

I replied back about the stools on the original post about the urinary tract infection and reported the other question as a duplicate so that we would only have one open post.

If you still have further questions, you can reply back on this post.

Thank you kindly for the positive rating. There is not need to rate again unless you feel you want to.
Hi James,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Venus. How is everything going?

Dr Z