Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My dog seems to whine when she gets to the bottom of the stairs

My dog seems to whine when she gets to the bottom of the stairs and kinda "jumps" on the landing as well as when she jumped out of the chair. She seems to be walking fine and I checked her paws, she doesn't have any cuts and didn't pull her paws away when I checked them. What could be causing her to whine?
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

How long has Roxy been having this problem?

Does she ever limp at any other time or just when jumping down from something?

Does she have any problem going up the stairs?

When was the last time Roxy had a complete physical?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This just seemed to start this morning. She goes up the steps ok and gets up on the bed and furniture without whining. And she is walking ok, no limps.

Roxy's last appt for a physical and shots was this past March.

Thanks for answering my questions. I really appreciate it.

Because this has only been going on for a very, very short amount of time, I think that just monitoring her for the day is a good way to do things. You can try to keep her quiet...no long walks, no out to the dog park..just outside on a leash to potty and then back inside.

If this is just a slight sprain, then she should be feeling better and be not having any problems in a day or so.

However...if this continues, or if she acts painful, then you should have your vet take a peek. Since Roxy is a Rotti...we always worry about things like osteosarcoma (bone cancer) when they show some kind of pain in the limbs...but since this has been such a short time, I don't think we need to rush her to the vet right now.

HOpefully she'll be feeling much better in the morning with some rest.