Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  29 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog ate what appears to be a small tube of travel size toothpaste.

Customer Question

My dog ate what appears to be a small tube of travel size toothpaste. She is a chiwawa shitsu mix maybe 10 lbs. Should I be worried?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

RebeccaVet :

Hello!

RebeccaVet :

I am sorry to hear about Lucy Lu.

RebeccaVet :

My name isXXXXX am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Customer:

Hi Rebecca

Customer:

My dog ate a small tube of travel size toothpaster

RebeccaVet :

Did she eat the tube, too? I am less worried about the toothpaste, than the plastic tube.

Customer:

no

RebeccaVet :

So she only ate the toothpaste, but let the tube itself alone?

RebeccaVet :

What kind of toothpaste?

Customer:

Coolgate Flouride Cavity Protection toothpaster

RebeccaVet :

Let me do a little research. One moment.

Customer:

ok thank you

RebeccaVet :

Do you still have the tube?

RebeccaVet :

If there was any xylitol in the toothpaste, that is poisonous to dogs.

Customer:

nope

RebeccaVet :

that is good news.

RebeccaVet :

The only ingredient to worry about then is the fluoride.

Customer:

so what should I do?

RebeccaVet :

But the amount in the tube may only be enough to cause some diarrhea.

RebeccaVet :

Well, we could either try to get her to vomit, if this happened in the last hour or so.

Customer:

yes

Customer:

it did

Customer:

how do we do that?

Customer:

if she is just going to have diarrhea I can live with that

RebeccaVet :

Or, if you have the tube, and can tell me how many ounces of toothpaste were in the tube, and what percentage of fluoride it has, I could do some math and figure out if it was enough worry about.

Customer:

.85 oz

Customer:

is the total weight and it appears to say .15% w/flouride ion

RebeccaVet :

OK, give me a moment.

RebeccaVet :

So she got .077 milligrams of fluoride if she ate the whole tube. How much does she weigh?

Customer:

9-10 lbs

RebeccaVet :

OK so she got about .017 millgrams of fluoride per kilogram of body weight.

RebeccaVet :

That is a low dose. You might see vomiting and diarrhea, but probably not at that does.

RebeccaVet :

Sorry, at that dose.

Customer:

that is a relief

RebeccaVet :

The veterinary toxicologists get worried about doses like 8 mg per kg. We are way below that.

Customer:

is there anything I should do for her?

Customer:

we planned on going swimming in a pool today

RebeccaVet :

No, I just repeated my math, and got that same number. I think you should go swimming!

Customer:

thanks :)

RebeccaVet :

You could feed her bread, or sweet potato, to push the toothpaste through her.

RebeccaVet :

You are welcome.

Customer:

:)

RebeccaVet :

As long as there was no xylitol, you have no worries. It is an artificial sweetener in things like chewing gum that is very poisonous.

Customer:

I learned something new as well

RebeccaVet :

Me, too! I learned the toxic dose of fluoride in dogs.

RebeccaVet :

Hope you enjoy the day.

RebeccaVet :

Please let me know if I can answer anything else.

Customer:

you too, also I am subscribed to the site now? I just wanted to pay to answer this one issue?

RebeccaVet :

It does not say you are a subscriber as far as I can see.

RebeccaVet :

If you give my answer a rating, you pay for only this question.

RebeccaVet :

Is there anything else I can answer?

RebeccaVet :

Kindly rate my answer, but only if you have no more questions. I will check back to see how she is doing.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Chirag,
I hope I was helpful. Please let me know if there is anything else I can answer.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 29 years of companion animal practice.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello Chirag,
How is Lucy Lu today?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the great rating! Hope Lucy Lu is doing well.