Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My dog has had diarrhea for a little over a day. Today he

My dog has had diarrhea for a little over a day. Today he was just laying there and expelled a small puddle that looked like mucus and blood. It was kind of dark. He isn't acting much different besides a guilty look on his face. I wondered if he is sick from eating some old food that I made the mistake of throwing into the back yard. Also He may have gotten into our compost pile.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

How much blood did you see?

What color are his gums?

Any vomiting?

Other then the food or compost pile any chance he got into anything else?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It was a dark strawberry jelly that was melted. 3 tbsp or so.

His gums are dark pink.

We did see a little bit of food vomit the other day. Not a lot. but we have three dogs ,so, it could be any one of them. But the other 2 aren't showing the same symptoms. he may have drank from out fish pond. Its also hot here in Tx right now. Would heat cause any of this to happen. They do have shade and plenty of water when they are out and don't really stay out long periods. Maybe an hour or so at a time.

Thank you for the additional information.

It is very possible that this is due to eating bad food or getting in to the compost pile. Most owners are unaware that compost piles can be very dangerous as they harbor potentially fatal bacteria. I would try to make sure the dogs do not have access to this area in the future. Bad and or moldy food from the trash can also cause dangerous garbage toxicity.
Please read over the following information so you can see what other symptoms you would want to watch for LINK

Bloody jelly like stool can also be cause by eating something toxic other then garbage such as rat poison
Parasites
HGE
These are just a few of the possible causes.

The heat can cause problem with the blood clotting and heat stroke can happen very quickly so if you see signs that they are over heating bring them in. We had 4 heat strokes in our ER just this week and all 4 of them were just on nice easy walks with their owners.

What I would suggest if he is not vomiting is to offer a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice for the next 2-3 days then slowly go back to his regular food. I would keep a close eye on him. If the diarrhea gets worse, you see more blood, he has any vomiting, refuses to eat or you see any of the neurologic signs on the information I refereed you to regarding garbage toxicity I would have him seen right away.

If he continues to act and eat normally but the diarrhea continues then I would have your vet take a look at him on Monday and have the stool checked for bacteria and or parasites.

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
Candy
Hi Russell,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sky. How is everything going?

Candy