Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.

Pug has yellowish stinky icky sore on neck

My pug has a stinky sore and looks infected (yellowish), that just appeared. I have two dogs and thought maybe a fight, but i don't believe so. The only thing that has changed is his food (was Nutro now Purina). The sore stinks, I have put neosporin on the sore after I cleaned it with a prep wipe from my first aid kit and gave him a cephlexin antibiotic pill that I had some left over from awhile back (from our vet). Our vet is closed till Monday, any ideas what it can be? I havent encountered this sort of sore on his neck before, I thought maybe a bad hot spot or harness was rubbing but we took that off.

He doesn't seem in any pain. I have a photo:

Hello and thank you for asking your question. My name isXXXXX will try to help.
Usually, a sore with yellow drainage is superficial pyoderma or a hot spot. They can come on in a few hours. There is always bacteria on the skin. So, anytime there is a break in the skin, bacteria can enter and cause an infection.
A bug bite is a common cause.
So, I clip all the hair over, and around, the sore.
Letting air get to it will help dry it out.
You can clean it, twice a day, with betadine antibacterial skin cleanser. They sell it in the first aid aisle of the human drug store.
Then, when it is dry, apply your neopsorin.
You can give him benadryl for itching or discomfort. 1 mg of benadryl, per pound of dog, every 12 hours.
Cephalexin is a good antibiotic for the skin. The dose is 15 mg per pound every 12 hours. You have to give it for at least 7 days.
It should be greatly improved in a week. It may take a few weeks for the hair to grow back and the wound to heal completely.
I hope this helps.
If you have additional questions, please click "reply."
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I thought it may be that but I wanted to ask, as he usually gets them on his tail, tis is first time on neck. And in Fl it has been hot hot recently.