Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

I have a white boxer that will dry heave from time to time.

I have a white boxer that will dry heave from time to time. There will be some saliva from time to time but usually there is nothing. This happens when he gets excited or after he drinks. ???
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

This is not too alarming. These brachiocephalic dogs will something swallow a lot of air when they are excited. This leads to some GI irritation and nausea that can then lead to vomiting/ heaving.

We can also see some swelling in the airway and coughing/ gagging when they are excited. This goes for any of the shorter nosed breeds like bulldogs/ boxers/ pugs.

You could get an upper airway exam to make sure there is nothing that needs surgical correction. Basically we give an anesthetic and evaluate the nasal opening, soft palate and laryngeal saccules in the throat. If any of these need to be trimmed back or opened up some, it can be done at the same time. These are commonly needed in bulldogs and occasionally necessary in boxers.

If it's just mild signs and just when excited, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks! Much appreciated.