Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

My dog was outside for a great deal of time yesterday. It was

Customer Question

My dog was outside for a great deal of time yesterday. It was quite hot, though they did have shady places to go and water to drink. Our boy is really not doing well today. He was severely ravaged by the local bugs and has a terrible amount of bites all over his nose, eyes and especially in his groin area. He seems to be leaking bloody urine and as far as I can tell, has not peed since yesterday. He is drinking lots but not eating. We do not have a vet in our town and the closest one is 15 hours away. Is there anything I can do for him? He is an almost 2 year old Newfoundland and weighs about 140lbs.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.

Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Drew :

The most worrisome thing you have mentioned, is the bloody urine,

Drew :

and the presence of bloody urine makes me wonder if the "bites" you are seeing are actually areas of "petechiation", which are areas where the blood vessels have begun to leak as a result of blood clotting problems.

Customer:

I think it is urine. I can't really tell

Drew :

Heat exhaustion typically is very dangerous because of the blood clotting problems that occur,

Customer:

Something is leaking. It looks very bloody and kind of smells like urine

Drew :

and blood in the urine, or blood leaking from the penis with or without urine, and splotchy skin, make me *very* worried that Gromit experienced heat exhaustion yesterday,

Drew :

and he is in serious need of veterinary care based on that suspicion.

Customer:

we are no where remotely close to any care

Drew :

if this is truly a heat exhaustion case, there's no at-home treatment for the problems that are occurring, and even in the veterinary clinic, treatment must be very aggressive and is often unsuccessful.

Customer:

are there other symptoms I should be looking for?

Drew :

your best bet, given your remote location, is to ensure that Gromit is taking in water and electrolytes (you can use chicken broth, gatorade, pedialyte, etc)

Drew :

I'd be very worried if you start to see diarrhea or vomiting

Drew :

especially if there's any blood or black coloring to either of them.

Customer:

he is drinking water easily

Drew :

ok, so perhaps you can offer some water mixed half and half with broth or the other drinks I mentioned

Customer:

no signs of vomiting or diarrhea

Drew :

that's good to hear.

Customer:

ok, we can definitely try that

Drew :

it's really just basic nursing/supportive care that you need to provide at this point,

Customer:

what do we do about the leaking though?

Drew :

to prevent dehydration and electrolyte imbalances,

Drew :

there isn't anything you'll be able to do for that -- it's just going to be a matter of preventing urine scalding of the skin, by keeping him clean and dry, and rotating his position to prevent bedsores.

Customer:

will it eventually stop on its own?

Drew :

I do not know -- I am very worried about Gromit's condition.

Customer:

as am i

Customer:

our biggest obstacle it's that we live in such a remote location

Drew :

if you believe that the skin problems are truly bug bites, you could try giving Benadryl (diphenhydramine), 50-75mg every 12 hours.

Customer:

we will try that as well

Customer:

he seems to really like having the fan blow on where the bites are the worst, is that ok?

Drew :

I think that is fine, I don't see any problem from having the fan on him.

Drew :

you also could try a topical cortisone cream such as Cortaid (1% hydrocortisone)

Drew :

on the areas most severely affected.

Customer:

If he licks that will it be ok?

Drew :

well, I'd try to minimize it, but it's not particularly harmful.

Customer:

Is there any way to know for sure if he will be ok?

Drew :

sadly, there is no way I can tell you that without an examination and some blood tests and such.

Drew :

but, if he survives for another 2-3 days, then his chances of recovery are better.

Customer:

is there one definitive sign that he's getting better? Like if he starts eating or the leaking stops?

Drew :

sure, those are both great signs,

Drew :

whereas vomiting or diarrhea are bad signs.

Customer:

Ok, I will be sure to keep a very careful eye on that. So far he has had neither

Drew :

good to hear.

Drew :

please keep me informed about his progress.

Customer:

I don't know how we will keep him dry with the constant leaking though

Drew :

lots of towels, frequent changing

Customer:

Do I just come back to the site to update?

Drew :

sure

Drew :

after you submit a rating tonight, I can change our chat into Q and A format, and you'll be able to return and update anytime.

Customer:

That would be wonderful, thank you very much for your help

Drew :

you are very welcome... I will be hoping for all the best.

Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience: Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just wanted to update you on Gromit's condition. I was able to contact the vet who comes to town a few days a year and forward her some pictures. Gromit had an allergic reaction to the bug bites and a urinary tract infection. She was able to call in a prescription to the pharmacy and it has been 4 days of medication and he is doing so much better. Thank you again for all of your help!
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.
Wow, that's certainly a relief... I was fearing the worst!

It just goes to show, how important a physical examination is -- because the way something may be described, is often not quite the same as actually seeing it with one's own eyes.