Dr. Z.
Dr. Z., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 25 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.

My dog is having pain in her left eye, she pulls away and cries

Customer Question

My dog is having pain in her left eye, she pulls away and cries if I even put my hand near her eye without touching it. I took her to the emergency clinic and they ran some tests which came back normal and the physical exam showed nothing. they gave me Metacam to administer 1X a day for 5 days but could not tell me what was wrong. can you help me?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Makayla today. I am a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you, but need a bit more information in order to better assist you.

Did they take any xrays of her head or skull?

Is there any swelling of her face?

Did they examine her teeth well to see if a tooth root abscess may be to blame?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

they did not take any xrays of her head, they did check her teeth and found nothing that would cause this pain, and there is no swelling of her head and her lymph nodes are normal

Expert:  Dr. Z. replied 1 year ago.
If her pain does not resolve with the Metacam, I would definitely recommend that you have her anesthetized and have skull and dental films taken. I have seen dogs with tooth root abscess identified and with an oral exam alone, it would not have been noted. On top of that, skull films will allow visualization of the sinuses and the inner ears, both of which have communication with other structures of the head. Xrays may confirm a diagnosis of an infection or abscess (behind the eyeball?) or in other sinuses of the skull, but in some cases, more advanced imaging may be needed (MRI or CT). Also, make sure that the ear canals have been fully examined and that a normal ear drum is visualized.

I hope this is helpful. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. Thank you for allowing me to assist you.

Dr Z

Dr. Z., Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Over 25 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
Expert:  Dr. Z. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you kindly for the positive rating. It is truly appreciated.

Good luck with getting to the root of the problem. Please keep me posted as to how things progress.
Expert:  Dr. Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sandra,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Makayla. How is everything going?

Dr Z