petdrz., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.

My dog has lymphengiectasia and IBD and is on the following

My dog has lymphengiectasia and IBD and is on the following medications:

Prednisone – 15 mg daily.
Chlorambucil (Leukeran) 2 mg tabs – Give 1 tablet by mouth every 24 hours for 3 days then give 1 tablet by mouth every
48 hours until directed otherwise.
Mirtazapine 15 mg tabs – Give ½ tablet by mouth every 24 hours until Sam is eating normally.
Metronidazole 500 mg tabs – Continue to give ¼ tablet by mouth every 8 hours. We are now adding Prilosec and Cerenia to help prevent my dog from vomitting. When should we give these medications? Before a meal?
Subcutaneous fluids
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Sam today. I am a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

I can understand why it would be confusing.

I would give all of the medications after she eats except for the Prilosec and Cerenia. You want to try to have those in her stomach before she eats.

The SQ fluids ca be given anytime.

I hope that helps. You have your work cut out for you.

I hope this is helpful. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. Thank you for allowing me to assist you.

Dr Z

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr. Z, thanks for trying to help me figure out when to give Prilosec and Cerenia.

I will give Sam the Prilosec an hour before his dinner. Should I give him Cerenia at the same time also before dinner or will this dimish the effect of Cerenia as Prilosec is an acid reducer?

No it is fine to use the two at the same time. The Cerenia does not need gastric acid to produce it's anti vomiting effect.
Thank you kindly for the positive rating. It is truly appreciated.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sam. How is everything going?

Dr Z