Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery

We have a mixed breed (cattle dog, dutch shepard ?) who is

We have a mixed breed (cattle dog, dutch shepard ?) who is 16 mo. old. We got her as a rescue in March 2013. She injured her hind leg jumping onto the bed (she is not supposed to, but door was left open by mistake). She weighs 40lbs and was prescribed carprofen 75mg. This makes her very lethargic and somewhat non responsive. she is still limping and holding her leg up sometimes. should I contine this drug ? the injury was a week tommorrow and the meds was prescribed that evening, but have only given it to her several time because of the way it made her act. Help please.

Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Drew :

Carprofen should not cause lethargy or nonresponsiveness, so Mocha may be intolerant of this medicine, and I would suggest not giving additional doses.

Drew :

Instead, you should call your vet and ask about trying a different anti inflammatory/pain medicine, that perhaps may be tolerated better by Mocha.