Ann M.
Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005

My 13 yo dog Molly is acting out of character namely: staring

My 13 yo dog Molly is acting out of character namely: staring into space, suddenly urinating inside [despite 24/24 to outdoor access and no previous problem], not eating usual foods and/or on usual regular basis, isolating herself away from me, however also at times following me around seeming to be 'sad' and 'confused' [her 'sister' dog died 18 months ago -both rescue dogs and always got on well. I have checked her eyes for possible symptoms for possible organic problems.
Is this usual for an aging dog?
Hi there and thank you for your question. I am a licensed veterinarian and would be happy to assist you. It sounds like your dog may have had a stroke or may have something going on in the brain. It is also possible for kidney or liver problems to cause toxins to build up, which can cause some abnormal behaviors. I would see your vet and start with some basic blood work to rule out a metabolic cause, and then I would discuss whether or not to pursue any specialized diagnostics such as an MRI to diagnose a stroke or tumor in the brain. It is also possible this is dementia, because older dogs can get that, too. The problem with diagnosing these problems in animals is that most people do not have insurance to pay for the expensive diagnostic testing, so most of the time we do not get answers. As far as what you can do at home, unfortunately there is not much you can do to help. I would have basic bloodwork run, and then if you do not find anything, I would just continue to give her love and cuddles. Hope this helps! Best of luck.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much Ann - I will certainly follow your advice - would do anything for Molly as I did for Lucy [her fellow rescue sister].

Okay. Good luck! Please remember to rate my service.