Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

Hello Dr Andrea, We have a papillion who is 13 years old and

Hello Dr Andrea, We have a papillion who is 13 years old and is currently having problems. She has been for the most part quite healthy throughout her life. Recently, we took her to the veterinarian office:her trache is collasping more frequently, she also has an enlarged heart, as well as her bronchials being inflamed. The veterinarian started her on 2 medications:Hycodan syrup,(she is taking this bid) Temaril tablets,( she is taking a 1/2 tablet once a day) and Vetmedin,(she is taking this bid, one tab).
When she first started it seemed to help,(the first three weeks) she wasn't doing so much reversed sneezing, however now she is doing a lot of reverse sneezing,(It does seem to be uncomfortable for her) even with the medication. I Have spoken to the vet several times and I am real concerned. Should I take her for a second opinion. She weighs 5.5lb and is a happy go lucky dog, I realize she is getting older, but I want her latter years to be as pleasant as they can be...considering her age. I don't ever want her to suffer or be uncomfortable, what should I do?
By the way, the doctor say's she is not dehydrated, but she pants regularly through out the day and at night,(we keep our home comfortable) and doesn't seem to be drinking much water. We give her fresh water every day. She has no problem eating at this time, and has been on the same diet for quite some time.(blue buffalo)
I would appreciate any help you can give to us, we love her very much.
Thanks in advance,
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 10 months ago.

Welcome. I'm sorry but Dr. Andrea isn't online at this time. Would it be ok if i helped you at this time? I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. Despite the reverse sneezing events, is she active and seeming to breath normal? Is she eating well?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Yes, she is eating normal, she is still active (in spurts) and she breathes ok, as long as she doesn't have one of those reverse sneezing acttacks.

Is she having any nasal discharge? Any swelling of the bridge of the nose? Any coughing?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

No discharge...that I can see, no swelling at the bridge of her nose, and no coughing.

Ok. That is good that there is no discharge, no swelling and no coughing. If these were present, then the chance of something more being present increases. Reverse sneeze events are by themselves just an indication of irritation in the causal nasopharyngeal area causing it. Could there be some irritant in the air seething it off more? Could there be a growth there causing more irritation? These are considerations. I would recommend videoing what you're seeing as it may be something that having your vet see an event leads to something else. It sounds like her meds are helping control her heart issues at this time. I would recommend following up with management there with routine blood work and chest x-rays as set up by your vet.

Overall it doesn't sound like a critical situation that she's in at this time. Is a second opinion needed? If you truly want peace of mind, allowing another vet to evaluate her may give you that. I would definitely have a video of the events for them to review if possible.
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience: 13 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank you so much, Dr Bruce...we have video taped her during these episodes. I was thinking that it may be an irritation outside or within our living quarters. We have just recently moved from the midwest to the west coast.

Again, thanks for your swift reply and we will take your advise to heart. We (of course) love our little one and want her to live a long life.

Thanks again for your time,

Ren