Ann M.
Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005

I have a 3 year old shih tzu. he weighs 16.2 pounds now . he

I have a 3 year old shih tzu. he weighs 16.2 pounds now . he has put on 3 pounds. please suggest how can we help him lose that extra weight.

Hi there, and thank you for your question. I am a licensed veterinarian and would be happy to assist you. First, let me ask a few questions.

1. Do you feed people food/table scraps?

2. Do you feed dog biscuits/treats?

3. How much dog food is feed per day? Do you measure it out with a measuring cup?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We never feed him people food/table scraps. we are extra careful about it. We give him a combination of dry and wet food from blue buffalo. He take light weight series of dry food 1.5 cups a day mixed with 3 spoons of wet food each time. He eats carrots for treats.

Okay. 1.5 cups of dry food seems excessive for a small dog. I had a 9# XXXXX that ate 2/3 cup daily, and I have an 85# XXXXX who eats 3 cups daily. I would cut back to 1 cup of dry food daily because I think that, while he is being fed high quality food, he is simply being overfed. The dog food bags always recommend WAY too much food because they are in the business of selling dog food. Hope this helps! Best of luck.
Hi Apurva,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Ann M.