Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

Hi! I have a sweet little half Aussie/ half heeler girl

I have a sweet little half Aussie/ half heeler girl named Rue who is 1 1/2 years old.
She is fed a grain free food- acana, Given salmon oil every day, supplements
And all organic natural treats daily. About a month or so ago I noticed her itching her eyes and rubbing them on the carpet. The fur around her eyes is getting thin bit it is not red or inflamed. There is also a small spot on her left elbow that has lost some fur. She is terrified of the water so I use a spray shampoo. I am not sure what do about her eye or her elbow and wondering if I should have her looked at by a doctor. I tried looking up what this might be and all I found was stuff on mange. Is this what it might be?
Thank you kindly for your help.
Hello and welcome .

My name is Scott and I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Please give me ten minutes or so to think through your particular problem, prepare an answer, and then type things up. I will then get back to you and we can then talk things over ...

Hello again Patricia and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think, ... lets get started.

1. Having read your question through I think the best thing is if you have Rue checked over by your vet at the next opportunity.

2. The reason I say this is because although there are many possible diagnosis with symptoms like that one of the possibilities is Demodectic Mange and this can only be diagnosed via a skin scraping from your vet as the mites are microscopic. Also whatever is going on it is likely that prescription drugs of some sort will be the way to get Rue better quickest after you come to a firm diagnosis.

3. In the meantime here is a link to a very accurate article on Demodectic Mange. LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your help, I will be taking her to her vets tomorrow!

Hello again Patricia,

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating and bonus, this is very much appreciated.

Kindest regards and good luck with Rue ... ,