Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.

My dog ate 12-ish .125 mgs of Levothyroxine meds - hes fifty

My dog ate 12-ish .125 mgs of Levothyroxine meds - he's fifty pounds and acting normal, even playful, and I think he ate them within the last hour. Should I take him to the vet? I don't have a ton of money and I'm really worried!!
Hello there! My name isXXXXX and sorry to hear that Jake is trying to get into trouble. The good news is that the amount he ate is only about twice the dose he would receive if he was taking this medication so it is not an extremely high over dose. A one time dose of this medication and this amount will have no lasting side effects or cause any problems with him. At this dose I would NOT recommend inducing vomiting because of the risks of him aspirating while vomiting or causing stomach irritation and upset. So i would just keep an eye on him but you should not see any side effects. He may seem a little restless and panting tonight but nothing worse than that. I hope this helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much!!! I'm glad I didn't try to make him vomit before asking a vet - hearing that he is going to be okay is such a relief! Thank you so, so much!

You are very welcome! I hope the rest of your night is quiet. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any further questions or concerns. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit. Thank you!
Hi Kinsey,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jake. How is everything going?

Dr. Whitehead