Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.
10315041

Dog on furosimide for fluid in the lungs. Marked coughing during

Dog on furosimide for fluid in the lungs. Marked coughing during night time. Anything else can be done to relieve the symptoms?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and I will try my best to answer to your question to your satisfaction. However to enable me to do so with accuracy I need a little more information, so before we start can you please answer the following ...

1. Sorry to hear about your dog, could you confirm the diagnosis please? I guess she has congestive cardiac failure?

2. Is she on any other prescription drugs of any other kind at present?

Then give me fifteen minutes or so to think things through, prepare an answer, and type things up. I will then get straight back to you and we can talk things over.

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

apparently not congestive heart faliure. Xrays are cloudy lungs. Heart looks good. she takes glucosamine 2 X day and antibiotics 2xday. She is on a diet 1/4 of her lastest diet. lasiks 3x day.

what kind of diagnosis are "cloudy lungs" I don't know

Hello again Jana and thanks for the quick reply.

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think, ... lets get started.

1. This does seem a strange situation but I have know the lung appearance on the X-ray of dogs to be cloudy due to some degree of infection { pneumonia } this could be bacterial or sometimes fungal but I guess this is why she is on antibiotics. { Other diagnosis are also possible of course }

2. It is good this is not congestive cardiac failure but all you can do is to sit things out until the antibiotics do their work. In this situation a drug such as Millophylline in combination with the Furosemide could well reduce the cough and make her more comfortable in the meantime.

You may want to run this option past your vet ...

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS.