Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My min pin of 13 yrs just passed away. He had a tumor. We dont

My min pin of 13 yrs just passed away. He had a tumor. We don't have children and he was our baby. We want to get another dog. Out min pin slept in the bed with us, went on vacation and was constantly with us.
We have been considering adopting a puppy. Is it better to adopt or buy a pure breed puppy
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

I am a big proponent of adopting as opposed to buying. Many adoption places will have puppies- they are typically going to be mixed breeds. These dogs tend to have fewer hereditary illnesses and they are less likely to develop cancer. This is because there is more genetic diversity in these mixed breed dogs.

The only time I would recommend buying a puppy is when you are going to show the dog or work the dog. Otherwise, the typical house dog can be adopted. It's up to you whether you want a puppy or older dog. Either way, these adopted dogs are typically great pets- they are very appreciative to be in a good home.

Good luck with your decision, let me know if you have any other questions.

Hi Pam,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Looking for a puppy or young dog to adopt.

THANKS

Sounds good, best of luck in the search.