How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Deb Your Own Question
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 8909
Experience:  I have owned, bred and shown dogs for over 40 years.
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Deb is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog at some Brookside goji berry treats-- dark chocolate

This answer was rated:

My dog at some Brookside goji berry treats-- dark chocolate coating I think :( I didnt realize he ate them until he barfed up chocolate and clear liquid (water im guessing?). then he barfed two more times soon after, and there was hardly anything except clear liquid the 3rd time. then i offered him his water and he drank like he was pretty thirsty and he hasnt barfed that up yet. i would guess he had them in his system less than an hour before he barfed, maybe closer to 30 mins but not 100% sure.

should i rush him to the vet now or watch for anything?

he hates the vet and shakes the whole time we are there so i dont want to freak out more than necessary but ill call the emergency vet if i need to

hes laying by me now and he just started barking a lot bc my other dog was barking at hes looking like his 'usual self' at the moment... I wouldnt know anything was wrong if I had not seen the barf, but I know they hide being sick. hes also trying to eat one of his treats so he has an appetite but Im not sure if I should let him eat and if so how much and what

ug, I usually dont even keep baking chocolate in my place bc Im paranoid of an accident, i am really kicking myself :(
Hi, I'm Dr. Deb. I will do my best to assist you today.
I'm sorry for this concern about your boy but accidents do happen to the best of us so you shouldn't beat yourself up too much about this.

I do have a few questions to ask about him first, if you don't mind:

1. How much time has passed since he ate the treats and was vomiting?
2. Can you guesstimate how much dark chocolate he might have ingested?

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Im estimating it was between 30 mins to 1 hour or so between eating them and vomiting

not sure how many he ate but the bag is still mostly full and I think if he could have gotten into it he would have ate more... Im thinking he knocked it over and some fell out... I would guess less than 10 of the treats but Im not 100% sure.

Hard to tell from what he did throw up... it still looked just like chocolate, but a bit lighter in color and diffused through a big helping (for him) of water... :S

Thanks so much for the additional information.

Hopefully, he vomited enough of the treats/chocolate that you won't have to worry about chocolate toxicity but signs to monitor might include trembling, hyperactivity, increased heart rate, nervousness, anxiety, even seizures can happen. You may know that different kinds of chocolate are more toxic than other kinds and dark chocolate is one of the worst kinds.

If he ingested about 1 ounce, then vomiting and diarrhea are the signs that would be expected. He would have had to ingest about 2.5 ounces for serious signs to be doesn't sound like he ate this much, though.

Since diarrhea might be expected within the next 12-24 hours, I would feed him a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice but I might wait to do so for a few more hours. The loose stools should resolve pretty quickly.
I would limit the amount of water that you give him as well just on the off chance that he's still feeling a little nauseous...even though he's kept it down so far.

I would monitor for signs that I mentioned above and if he starts to show any of them, then I would have him seen.
Since we're not exactly sure how much chocolate he ingested and subsequently vomited, it may be a few hours before signs would be seen. But if he's still fine after 12 hours or so, then he's probably out of the woods.

I hope this helps. Deb

Dr. Deb and 3 other Dog Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok...thanks for the info! So far, he's acting like his usual self.



Just wondering what the nervous/anxious symptoms look like in a dog? Also, what should his heart rate be at, and is there a good way I could accurately check it?



Thanks so much for the rating; it's greatly appreciated:)

Nervous/anxious behavior is usually manifested by pacing, panting, will be pretty obvious that he's agitated, at least it is in most dogs.

Normal heart rate at rest would be <120 beats/minute. Just put your hand on the left side of his chest behind his "elbow". You should be able to feel the heart beating.

It sounds like he's going to be fine but I'd like to know for sure so I'll send you a follow up email in a few days to which you can respond when you have the time. Deb
I'm just following up on our conversation about your boy. How's he doing? Did he develop any other signs after he ate the chocolate berries? Deb

Related Dog Questions