Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

I have a 1 y/o Jindo who was spayed early Monday morning.

I have a 1 y/o Jindo who was spayed early Monday morning. She will not wear the e-collar - she just thrashes around against the ground/wall/furniture until it falls off. We have put a large t-shirt on her as a substitute and it seems to be working, though it gets tangled throughout the day and night. My girlfriend and I have now taken a day off each, and would like to return to work full time tomorrow. Would you recommend supervision tomorrow, or should the t-shirt suffice? Thank you for your help.

Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Drew :

The t-shirt is sometimes acceptable, in some dogs,

Drew :

but typically a persistent dog will have no difficulty at all in reaching the stitches, and potentially creating a major problem for themselves and for you.

Drew :

I can't give you the assurance that the shirt will prevent this from happening.

Customer:

Certainly. That was my concern. I am worried that the incision will start to itch more as well as the days go by.

Drew :

Jindos, and similar breeds (Shiba Inu, etc), are generally fairly active, and not particularly tolerant of things (as demonstrated by the e-collar reaction).

Drew :

You are correct that there will be itching as the incision heals.

Drew :

typically, days 3-5 are the most critical in terms of integrity of the incision.

Customer:

Ok, that is good to know. I am just trying to get to the weekend so we have Sat/Sun to monitor. Thank you for your answer. I appreciate it.

Drew :

You are very welcome.

Drew :

I wish you both all the best :)

Customer:

Thanks!