Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.
10315041

Our Golden retriever ate 2.5 ounces of Leather Dressing.

Customer Question

Our Golden retriever ate 2.5 ounces of Leather Dressing. The label says it contains petroleum distillates. Just found the package now. Best guess is that he ate it 3 hours ago while I was on a phone conversation and he went upstairs.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and I will try my best to answer to your question to your satisfaction. However to enable me to do so with accuracy I need a little more information, so before we start can you please answer the following ...

1. Is Bow showing any symptoms of any sort?

Then give me fifteen minutes or so to think things through, prepare an answer, and type things up. I will then get straight back to you and we can talk things over.

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He does not appear to have any symptoms. It is 11:37 here so he is resting. His breathing may be a little labored, but he does that a lot. He is 68 pounds.

Hello again Cindy and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think, ... lets get started.

1. Petroleum distillates can be toxic in the dog but they are very much more toxic when inhaled as opposed to being ingested. However it is very encouraging that he is acting normally three hours after the incident, if problems were going to occur you would have expected to see symptoms by this point.

2. What to do about it? : Well there is no specific antidote here and it is now too late to induce vomiting to recover this product as this should be carried out within one hour of ingestion.

So really all you can do is to keep a good eye on him and contact a vet without delay if any odd symptoms appear but after the time which has passed this would be unlikely.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Should I give him dog bones or dog food or encourage him to drink more water?

Hello again,

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

As he is not showing any symptoms at present then the best thing is just to treat him as you normally would, but keep a good eye on him ..

Hopefully he has got away with it ...

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok thank you,

I need to stop reading other articles online, say a prayer and go to sleep. Bow sleeps in a crate in our bedroom.

If I see no symptoms during the night or in the morning, would you suggest I still call the vet? Some of the stuff I read suggest that you may not see symptoms right away.

Hello again,

If no symptoms occur over the next few days then the chances are Bow has got away with it, but keep a good eye on him anyway.

It would be a good idea to have him checked tomorrow but if he is not showing symptoms then the vet will not be able to do much. As I say there is no antidote so all you and your vet can do is to tackle any symptoms as they arise.

Hopefully this will not happen though ...

Good luck,

Scott
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS.
Hello again Cindy,

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Kindest regards and good luck with Bow ... ,

Scott
Hello again Cindy,

I am just getting back in touch to see how Bow is getting on.

How are things going at present?

Regards,

Scott