Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

Dog swallowed fish with hook in it. took to 24 emergency,

Dog swallowed fish with hook in it. took to 24 emergency, they induce puking got one fish up with out hook. Tried all night no luck with last try he didnt even puke much even after feed I was told. Sent home with pills to help coat gi tract (8 hr Interval). Told feed heavy chicken rice and pumpkin for fiber. Its been over day and half. Sifted thru this morning no hook. any additional suggestions to help pass. He starting to get to old for surgery.
I am sorry to hear about Stoney.

Was an Xray taken, to see where the fish hook is? If it was still in the stomach, it could be taken out by an endoscope, rather than surgery.

If it has passed into the intestine, then feeding bulky food to try to get it to pass is best: bread, sweet potato, pumpkin. It can takes days, even a week or more for things to pass.

My concern, yours, too I am sure, is that the hook will get caught up somewhere along the way. That is why I would see if it is still in the stomach, and remove it, if it is. If it has passed out of the stomach, I would take X-rays every few days to see if it is moving. If it is not moving, then it may need to be retrieved before it makes a hole in the intestine wall, which could lead to peritonitis.

There is no such thing, as "too old for surgery"! Age is not a disease. As dogs age, they may develop illnesses, like kidney disease or heart disease, that make the anesthesia more risky. If we do blood tests, and see what the organ function is like, we can tailor the anesthesia to the patient, to make it more safe. But, I hope surgery will not be needed!

1 1/2 days is too soon to expect it to pass. It might pass in that time, but it can take much longer for indigestible things to pass. I would get an Xray, and see where it is.

Please let me know if I can help with or answer anything else.

Thank you for the good rating!

Please let me know if I can answer anything else.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Bulky foods? Rice? Anything else don't think helikes pumpkin too much
Bread is bulky, and most dogs will eat it. Sweet potatoes work, and many dogs like them because they are sweet. Flavoring white rice with some broth to make it taste interesting could be something he will eat. Mostly, keep him eating to try to push thing through.

Hello David,
How is Stoney? Any news on the hook?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No hook, yet behavior is normal, last sucralfate pill taken this morning
Thank you for the update and I hope he continues to do well.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Passed hook fri. Thanks for your help
Great! You must be relieved. Thank you for the update!