Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

How to treat colitis naturally. Is there any holosyic ppro

How to treat colitis naturally. Is there any holosyic pproach
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Holly.

Well, maybe not. It really depends on what has caused the colitis. Of course, a little more simple to address if it was just caused by a dietary iniscretion, having ingested something you don't know about.

When the stool also has a oily, mucoid/jelly, or blood in it that suggests colitis. Colitis is inflammation of the large intestine.
Colitis in Dogs

A few options to help correct loose stools include:
1. Prescription medication like flagyl (metronidazole) is excellent:
Flagyl

If there is blood or mucous in the stool, to suggest colitis, than a vet may also consider Sulfasalazine:
Sulfasalazine

2. Adding some fiber to the diet.
Metamucil for Pets

Pumpkin for Pets (not pumpkin pie filler)

3. Various probiotics for the short-term or even sometimes long-term for chronic digestive problems:

Rx Biotics
- For this probiotic, you’ll need your vet to order it, or find a local vet who carries it.
Vetri-probiotic BD
Although not a sole treatment for diarrhea, another effective supportive supplement:
Rx Clay

A very popular choice:
Fortiflora
-above link for dogs, but you can select cat products as well.

4. A prescription diet like Science diet I/D, I/D low fat, W/D, or Royal Canin gastrointestinal can be useful.

5. A at-home bland diet:
Boiled boneless, skinless chicken breast OR low-fat cottage cheese
And
Cooked white rice
*Never add on salt, pepper, oils, butter to any of the above
*Ideally, give 1/3 chicken or cottage cheese, and 2/3 white rice

Of course, some of these options may not be readily available where you live.

So, a bland diet and adding fiber are good options. I really like when vets prescribe flagyl!

A very popular choice with vets in the States for treating diarrhea and/or colitis.

Hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thankyou very helpful. She really cries when passing stools although they ares soft as she is on the I/d. I am wondering if it was the sea jerks that I gave to her.,she is only 6 .5,pounds in weight, also is that raw pumpkin as it is difficult to obtain it where I live would the tinned be ok or what about pink sweet potato.
Thanks Linda
Sory for delayed replied. Very difficult time with delays this morning.

You are very welcome.

I would rather suggest a very small amount of metamucil if anything. But, pumpkin is fine as long as it is not pumpkin pie filler.

If not improving on I/D or medication like flagyl, the vet is going to need to consider some additional testing including abdominal x-rays or ultrasound or even colonoscopy.

Ask about flagyl.
Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Holly. How is everything going?